Sign in to follow this  
kanders

Toploader reverse light switch

Hello

I just purchased a 1969 Mustang Sportroof a couple of weeks ago and noticed that the reverse lights weren't working. The car has a 351W with a close ratio 4 speed. When I got it up on the hoist I expected to find a switch mounted somewhere on the transmission but came up with nothing. The car has a Hurst competition plus shifter. I did search some forums on this great site and some people had mentioned a switch on the shifter, but on Hurst's site they don't list anything about reverse light switches. This is my first post on this site and hope someone can give me some advise to send me in the right direction. Without all safety systems working, I cannot pass the inspection needed to drive this car (legally). Thanks in advance.

In my picture album, I have a few pics of the "factory Ford switch" as used on the Hurst shifter that Ford put in all 1970 4-Speed Mustangs. This pic shows it pretty good ...

http://www.1969stang.com/gallery/stangs-R-me-Deluxe-GT-Hardtop/Hurst_T_L_1

... there are others pics with other angles too (pics between 43-47).

This Ford/Hurst shifter is based on a aftermarket Competition Plus, but has a few differences.

I'm pretty sure the B-U switch mounts different on the aftermarket C-P, but not sure how.

If the back plate of your shifter has an extended tab & round hole at the base in line with the reverse lever like mine, then you've got the OE style shifter and you need to get an OE style switch. If you don't have this extened tab, find the P/N off the shifter and ask Hurst if the correct switch is still available.

Doug

stangs, thanks for the pics. I'll have to give hurst a call tomorrow and see what they have. I know for sure that the shifter is new because I have the bill for it in the pile of reciepts that I got from the previous owner.

I have an old Hurst C/P instruction sheet and it shows a mounting plate for a '70's style b/u switch. The plate goes under the 3rd gear stop bolt jam nut. It is listed as p/n 117 6889 so you might ask Hurst about this p/n when you call them.

Hurst use to offer, and maybe still does, a universal back-up light switch and bracket for their Competition Plus shifter. That's what I installed on mine years ago and it works just fine. It mounts in a similar location on the shifter as Ford did in 1970 Mustangs with Hurst shifters.