Sign in to follow this  
69gmachine

race report

Sorry, this is long...

I finally got to take my car through the cones in an autocross race. From an outside perspective it was probably fairly anti-climactic as I was pretty slow. As a novice race car driver there’s a lot to process as the cones seem to come at you really fast.

The race weekend started on Friday when I picked up my new rear caliper brackets. The old ones didn’t have a way to mount a parking brake, which is a requirement in the street classes. I bought a pair of new Wilwood parking brake calipers ready to install and stock replacement cables. In hindsight I should have bought the Lokar universal cables as they would probably have greater adaptability.

Saturday morning, 6:00AM I started work installing my new brake system. The Wilwood Dynalite calipers moved from the rear of the rotor to the front, but fortunately I didn’t have to break the lines open. The braided flex line hose had enough slack to move. It took a little time to work out the washers needed to space them properly but that was the easy part.

The OEM type cables wouldn’t mate with the parking brake mechanism. I spent hours fabricating a pair of adapter brackets using only a drill, a reciprocating saw and a grinder. I was afraid to actually test them as I wasn’t at all sure they would work, and I didn’t want to risk them getting stuck on. I crossed my finger and forged ahead. I pulled the car off the jack stands at 8:00 PM.

Sunday morning I left early with my helmet and a small bag with some basic hand tools: two screw drivers, a ½” and 9/16” wrenches. I arrived just a few minutes after 7:00, plenty early for a 9:30 start. At 8:15 I went through tech inspection. They check for loose items in the cabin, under the hood and in the trunk. They loved my car.

When I pulled up to the line, the chief inspector told me to set the parking brake. It worked. A small miracle! When they gave me the OK, they put a sticker on my windshield indicating I had passed tech. I started to pull away and could tell I still had the parking brake on. I pulled the handle and it released. Another small miracle! When I got back to my pit I tried to set it again. No joy. It only worked the one time, but it was all I needed.

My goal for my first run was simply not to get off course or hit any cones. I managed both of those so I felt pretty good. Even with R compound P275 rear tires, with as much torque as I have and the weight of the car, slinging the rear end around in the turns just took a blip of the throttle. A panhard bar might help some, but I have almost no body roll, and I can’t really tell that the rear end is sliding under the car. The whole back end goes.

The 2<SUP>nd</SUP> run was ugly. I got off course and that equates to a DNF. There was a pair of cones after a double gate that I weaved through, but we were supposed to stay to the left of both of them before starting the slalom section. That was a rookie mistake.

While I was waiting for my 3<SUP>rd</SUP> run, someone noticed I was leaking coolant. I could see it was coming from the water pump, around the passenger side hose although I couldn’t determine exactly where. It didn’t appear to be the weep hole underneath. I packed it in and limped home, stopping every few miles to top off the radiator.

Overall it was a blast. I’ll be back.

Edited by 69gmachine
added spacing

Congratulations Larry, I forgot that it was this weekend. Glad to hear you got to do it and that it was enjoyable.

Hey Ted, we were in your neighborhood at the Regency Furniture Stadium. The next several raecs are at Fed Ex field, but I think most if not all of the fall races are back down this way.

They require a functioning parking brake? Really? Did they check for turn signals? Well at least you had fun.

Yep, I don't know why they have that rule. I suppose it's something safety related. I'll get it fixed right before the next race. It's nice to have one anyway, but it sure put the pressure on this weekend.

Awesome! So you liked the Autocross, good to hear! What kind of speeds do you clock going around the course? Do you have power steering in your car?

I'm curious as even though I'm trying for Road Racing with the Z - my neighbor just told me about a local autocross next Sunday. Was thinking of entering the Mustang just for fun, but it might be a bear with no PS!

We still have to try and cruise out to CJ's one weekend (or better yet when there's an event at Carlisle).

There's no time to look at the gauges while you're on the course. Everything happens way too fast to do anything but look for the next turn or gate.

Yes I have power steering. It might be doable with street tires but if you put big racing tires on I think you'll want PS.

If you have the opportunity to do a local autocross, DO IT!! It's even more intense than an open track event. First, the course is much harder to see since it's a jumble of cones in a parking lot. Second, a road racing track is huge compared to an autocross course with lots of time to set up for the next turn. In autocross you have to look for the next turn or gate while you're still in one. Third, the timer puts extra pressure on you to go faster.

Yes, we need to do that cruise this year for sure.

Edited by 69gmachine
left out part of answer

I bought a new Flow Kooler water pump, but when I was installing it, I discovered the source of the leak. The blind hole in the block that the lower alternator bracket threads into is no longer blind. It broke out and now goes directly into the water jacket. I'll have to pull the timing cover and use some JB Weld to close it back up. It's going to make it really tough to make the next race.

I was able to fix the parking brakes today. I bought new cables from Wilwood that were made to fit the caliper mounts. They're identical to the ones made by Lokar except they come with an adapter for the calipers that has to be purchased separately if you buy the Lokar cables. I took some pics I'll post later.