Sign in to follow this  
brandos69stang

Headlight Ring ___ Spring Help

working on a 69 , the inner highbeam lights.

replacing the headlight buckets and the trim retaining rings. using scott Drake aftermarket parts.

The retaining ring has 3 areas for connection, 2 being screw holes and the third being a hole.

From what i have read on previous posts here, the spring that holds the headlight bucket serves a double duty and also hooks through this third hole on the retaining ring.

are the holes on the headlight buckets and the retaining ring supposed to line up??? they are a good 5/8"-3/4" apart from each other. Seems like the tab on the headlight ring should be 3/4" longer to line up with the hole on the bucket??? There is nothing i can do or adjust to get these 2 holes to line up. I am assuming these 2 holes are supposed to line up then you feed the end of the spring through the both of them??

or

do I just hook the retaining ring hole, and trust the tension of the spring will hold the bucket assembly tight?

Also which way does that funny looking spring go? One end looks normal and the other has a funny curl to it, and which way does it hook , up or down?

Pictures tell a thousand words, if anyone is able to post pics of this area it would be great.

thanks!

The hole will not line up one end of spring hooks to the bucket the other hooks to the trim ring. It's easist to hook the spring up first install the bulb then the two screws

so you are saying one end of the spring hooks on the tab behind the bulb, ( this is actually part of the fender extention behind the bucket)

and the other hooks on the trim ring? So nothing gets hooked to the bucket itself?

and which way does the spring go, and why.

anyone got a picture

thanks

Yes that is correct, The long end of the spring hooks to the bucket(looking straight back you'll see a slot) and the short curved end hooks to the retaing ring for the bulb.

Hook the bucket side first long end will have hairpin style clip into the bucket slot,

With bulb inplace Hook retaing ring to short curved end of spring and slip over bulb and install the 2 screws.

Yes that is correct, The long end of the spring hooks to the bucket(looking straight back you'll see a slot) and the short curved end hooks to the retaing ring for the bulb.

Hook the bucket side first long end will have hairpin style clip into the bucket slot,

With bulb inplace Hook retaing ring to short curved end of spring and slip over bulb and install the 2 screws.

if i hook the spring from the bucket to the ring, then what holds the bucket in place?

when you refer to "Bucket" do you mean the area behind the bucket, that is actually part of the fender extention?

The bucket that keeps getting referred to is the headlight bucket (front end of the fender) not the bowl or dish that the light sits into. Light is held in by chrome trim, the n the bowl is held into the bucket by the spring and two adjusting screws.