Sign in to follow this  
prayers1

Brake Distribution Block Question

1969 Fastback, (4) wheel manual drum brakes. I'm changing over to Front Power Disc Brakes using a 1970 Spindle/Disc assembly. I still need to buy the Master Cylinder and Booster.

I need help deciding what Distribution block to use. From my understanding, the 69 has a separate Distribution Block and Proportionate Valve and the 70 has both Valves into one. I am not concerned about originality, but the 1970 seems the easiest to use since there is less parts.

1969 Dist Block & Seperate Prop Valve:

T2eC16Vy8E9s2fjt4BPKTG1d60_57.jpg

1970 Dist Block & Prop Valve all in one:

KGrHqVgsEOcNM5fBP0P1WGJMg60_12.jpg

Question:

Which should I use and does it matter if I use a 70 product on the 69.

I assume that I will have to buy new brake lines. I do not know if my original brake line (flared/nut end) would bolt to the Disc 69/70 Dist. block.

Thanks for your help!

As long as you use a block for a disc/drum setup it should not mater if it's 69 or 70 as far as I know. Buy the brakes lines for whatever year block you are using so they will have the right number of lines and the right bends. Bruce

I would think the 1070 version better for you. I think it has the proportioning valve internal to it. Try the simpler method first, and maybe consider adding a seperate proportioning valve later if needed.

I just bought a used 1970 Block from one of the members here who sold me the spindle set. First I'll have to rebuild it.

FYI: I found a nice Video on rebuilding the Distribution block by WCCC on Youtube, titled "Disc Brake Proportioning Valve and Distribution Block Rebuild - How To".

Thanks for your input!

It should be noted that the factory prop was tuned for the factory car. If you don't have similar tires, brakes, and weight distribution etc., it won't be dead-nuts optimized. Yes it will work, but I'd at least consider running an adjustable one and dialing it in for your setup.