Sign in to follow this  
ksquared

Is 351W radiator same as 428CJ one?

technically, i believe they are different.

69 351W's had the bottom tube on the passenger side (many people convert to the driver's side).

428's had the bottom tube on the driver's side.

also, not all 351W's had the larger 24" saddle mount radiator like the 428's. i believe A/C was an option that forced the use of the larger 24" saddle mount radiator.

i'm not well versed in the 428's so question my response.

Subscribing as we also have crazy heat here in Aus and I would like to be sure my radiator will be sufficient for my tickled 428 when it is up and running.

Are you going to be using an electric thermo fan on yours, ksquared?

Flex fan, shroud, electric fan in front of radiator and Redline Water Wetter. I don't have A/C or a trans cooler (stick shift) to deal with. I will be installing an oil cooler (ala SCJ) and a power steering cooler. Temps here can get above 112 F or 44 C. Back in 1991 it got to 122 F or 50 C! I won't be driving the Stang in that kind of weather. :sweatdrop: How about where you are?

Mine is a 4 speed too. Am looking at doing an electric power steering pump conversion but do wish to have A/C. My car is an A/C car but I have none of the under bonnet parts. I'm hoping to put the A/C pump is where the power steering pump usually goes to avoid putting it on top of the motor.

I've have also put aside a set of twin therm fans with shroud from a late model Falcon. They are a good fit to my alloy radiator but still want to be sure the radiator I have will suit best.

In summer, many many days are in the 40C range. And when it gets hot, we'll be in the 50's. But like you, I doubt very much I'll be getting my CJ out for that. It isn't the heat here that is the bad part, sure the temp is way up, but the humidity is absolutely insane. And we live in cooler parts of eastern Aus. What we have here is nothing compared to central or northern Australia.

Ash, there is an old joke about the Phoenix cowboy who died and went to hell. He wired back for his jacket:clown: Just checked my original radiator and it's a 20 inch 3 row design. Probably marginal for a nearly 500hp 428 in the desert.:sweatdrop:

That's a good one, I like that!

I just measured mine, it is an aftermarket alloy rad 24 inches across the main body. I don't know how many core it is though. It's fairly thick too, 2.5 inches. No idea if it'll be up for the challenge.