Sign in to follow this  
55Mach1

Interested in installing AC in my 70 Mach 1, no idea which direction is best

my car gets hot as heck when driving it for a while and i always had intentions of installing AC. My car never had AC so my dash and dash pad both are not cut and modified for the air vents, this is one thing that worries me

which kit on the market will be the most user friendly to install without all the cutting and modifying?

I am glad you posted this thread because I am also about to be installing ac in my car but I do not know much at all about aftermarket kits. I have heard good things about vintage air but don't know very much about it or other options out there.

Drew

i looked at ac but other repairs have taken a priority. there are two choices. the under dash system or a system that replaces the levers for heat and defrost. i personally would go with the system that replaces the levers for heat and defrost if my car was restored to a high level. if you have just a driver like me i will probably go with the under dash unit. they sell a replacement part for the center of the dash to put a vent there.

55Mach1,

I have a factory A/C metal lower dash assembly for a 70 Mustang. If you choose to go that route I can dump it to you for a good price plus shipping. Where are you located? Bruce

PM me with price and condition, can you fire off some photos of this? i honestly wasnt inclined to cut my non AC metal dash with fear of messing up

I have researched this subject and decided to go with the Classic Air over the Vintage Air. Vintage Air uses their own vents where the Classic Air kit lets you use the stock vents. Both kits have the electromechanical actuators that you can get. You can use your stock selector also whether it is an AC car or non AC car. Both are about the same price, I just liked to looks of the installed unit of the Classic Air kit better. Only thing I don't like about the Classic Air kit is the location of the drier. They mount it on the passenger side inner fender just aft of the wheel.

The factory systems are available on fleabay, perhaps that is the way to go? At least for the interior things. Use some kit parts for an R134 system under the hood. The factory compressors were heavy and a huge load on the engine. Aftermarket systems offered in the kits are better for cooling from what I understand. But the factory look inside is hard to beat, especially if yours is fully restored to a high level.

Here are some pics of the extra 70 dash I have. I stayed with my 69 dash cause of the differences between the 69 and 70, But I used the openings in the 70 dash to make templates so I could cut the holes in my 69 dash. It came out great too. Bruce