Sign in to follow this  
Chelby-Ann

Re-Wiring Project - Part 1

I will attemt to describe in detail every step of the way what I go thru to install my AAW Kit so to inform others that plan on re-wiring their 'stang. I have had the AAW Kit (#510177) for my 69 Coupe for several months now and just this week started to install it. The colored instructions came printed on both sides and found this to be a PITA so I made 11" x 17" single sided copies. Sure made it easier to use. So like every project I take on I took some time reading and studying the instructions and looking at all those wires. Thursday night I began the process of installing the new fuse box on the firewall as instructed. I did not like how it mounted to the fire wall per the instructions. They had me drilling 1/8 diameter holes using a pattern within the instructions and mounting with 3" long sheet metal screws. Using the pattern provided it has one hole drilled hole outside the engine compartment and the other just inside the engine compartment and besides using the pattern the fusebox was tilted. I created a new template from cardboard and transferred the mounting holes to the carboard and moved the pattern to the left about 1" so that both mounting holes were on the outside of the engine compartment and mounted the fusebox using (2) 1/4-20 x 2.5" long bolts with locking nuts. This was a much better mount for me. I used some Eastwood Seal Sealer around the nuts and will under coat them to blend in with the rest of the finish. Back to the instructions, I started going thru the spahgetti of wires. I gotta tell you this was very overwelming. Since it has been years since I pulled all the wires out of the car, the instructions do not tell you where to route the wires. So i took a break thinking that I should get some detailed wiring schematics to show me where to route the wires. I started searching the WWW and realized that I had purchased a book (1969-1970 Mustang Exploded View Illustration Manual) some 6 years ago (7/7/05 to be exact). Man was I glad. So now that I had these schematics in hand back to work I went. I ran the wires for the headlights, horns etc thru the firewall into the engine bay area. Gotta tell you, I felt much better with the schematics in hand. This is where I quit for the day. I will peck away at it and will post updates and pictures as I go along. I will have more pictures in my alblum so feel free to browse. Please if I have not detailed the project enough or you need any more details just let me know and I will see what I can do. If you have any hints or suggestions also let me know. I have no idea how long this will take. I know it was a long thread but I wanted to be as detailed as I could. Hope this helps someone. Bill

I will attemt to describe in detail every step of the way what I go thru to install my AAW Kit so to inform others that plan on re-wiring their 'stang. I have had the AAW Kit (#510177) for my 69 Coupe for several months now and just this week started to install it. The colored instructions came printed on both sides and found this to be a PITA so I made 11" x 17" single sided copies. Sure made it easier to use. So like every project I take on I took some time reading and studying the instructions and looking at all those wires. Thursday night I began the process of installing the new fuse box on the firewall as instructed. I did not like how it mounted to the fire wall per the instructions. They had me drilling 1/8 diameter holes using a pattern within the instructions and mounting with 3" long sheet metal screws. Using the pattern provided it has one hole drilled hole outside the engine compartment and the other just inside the engine compartment and besides using the pattern the fusebox was tilted. I created a new template from cardboard and transferred the mounting holes to the carboard and moved the pattern to the left about 1" so that both mounting holes were on the outside of the engine compartment and mounted the fusebox using (2) 1/4-20 x 2.5" long bolts with locking nuts. This was a much better mount for me. I used some Eastwood Seal Sealer around the nuts and will under coat them to blend in with the rest of the finish. Back to the instructions, I started going thru the spahgetti of wires. I gotta tell you this was very overwelming. Since it has been years since I pulled all the wires out of the car, the instructions do not tell you where to route the wires. So i took a break thinking that I should get some detailed wiring schematics to show me where to route the wires. I started searching the WWW and realized that I had purchased a book (1969-1970 Mustang Exploded View Illustration Manual) some 6 years ago (7/7/05 to be exact). Man was I glad. So now that I had these schematics in hand back to work I went. I ran the wires for the headlights, horns etc thru the firewall into the engine bay area. Gotta tell you, I felt much better with the schematics in hand. This is where I quit for the day. I will peck away at it and will post updates and pictures as I go along. I will have more pictures in my alblum so feel free to browse. Please if I have not detailed the project enough or you need any more details just let me know and I will see what I can do. If you have any hints or suggestions also let me know. I have no idea how long this will take. I know it was a long thread but I wanted to be as detailed as I could. Hope this helps someone. Bill

Thanks for the update Bill, I will need this in the near future since I tore all the old trashed wiring ou of my 69 Coupe & need to rewire it too. Keep the updates comming please.

Mike.

Thanks for the update Bill, I will need this in the near future since I tore all the old trashed wiring ou of my 69 Coupe & need to rewire it too. Keep the updates comming please.

Mike.

I feel a little better going into day 2. So I decide to run the wires to the rear tail light section.This also includes wires for the gas tank and third brake light. The harness for this section is about 12 foot long and crazy with wires. Not going to be easy snaking these wires thru from the front receiver plug from the fuse box to the rear tail light section the way they were so I taped sections off every 12" or so to make it easier to handle. While I snaked it in and down the channel I fed the wires into 3/8" Flex tubing I got from Home Depot for $1.39. I continued the wires up and over the wheel well, wife help pull the wires while I fed it thru and out thru the trunk area. I will run the rest of the wires and connections to the tail lights next. I have attached some pictures. Thanks for following.

Mike you are exacly right. Thanks for the hint. After I found the opening in the drop down in the trunk, I grabbed the back up light and the grommet on the wire harness from the light fits like a glove. Like it was meant to go there LOL.

I completed wiring all the lights in the rear. Easy as pie. Clear instructions. Just take your time cause this is where you have to cut wires, splice and crimp. It really came out better than I thought. Just waiting on the gas tank assembly so I can install and wire then I will be able to put the wires in the 3/8" tubing for a nice neat look. I will post those pictures hopefully over the weekend. Gonna go back and run some more wires under the dash this weekend.

In the mean time I rebuilt my brake and clutch pedal assembly. The bushings and stop came in today and reassembled it tonight. Won't put that in till I have those wires ran under the dash. Might get in the way.