Sign in to follow this  
TexasEd

Has anyone rebuilt their power assisted steering?

I rebuilt my control valve, steering Cyl and steering box, all with parts from richard.

If your hoses are leaking and its not from holes in the hoses, then the seats in the control valve are likley bad, they come in the rebuild kit.

The steering box is really pretty easy, just be sure you dont loose any bearings, cuz you cant get new ones, you have to get used ones.. and there are quite a few in there.

The top seal around the box can also not be bought so if it looks ok reuse it...if not you can use a valve cover grommett :)

I will be happy to rebuild you box for you if you would like to ship it...will probably take me a week or two to get it done.....I would like to do a few more to get some practice lol...some boxes are beyond repair tho unless you buy used parts...one easy way to tell is to turn it and see if it gets tight in about the middle of the full rotation...if so you can probably rebuild it, unless the bearings are all eaten up, and in that case you will have to buy used....there are many parts inside that can be bad and you never know it until you get in there.

My box is actually good and tight so i know i did it right, but i am NO EXPERT, just some one who likes to be able to say i know how to do that and i did it on my own car LOL.

If you would like me to take a shot, get a kit and send the box and kit to me and i will take a crack at it, i wont charge anything. I like doing meticuilous small stuff. If all is salvageable im sure i can get it right.

After all i rebuilt my first 9" rear end on my own and it runs perfect LOL

Mike

I rebuilt my control valve, steering Cyl and steering box, all with parts from richard.

If your hoses are leaking and its not from holes in the hoses, then the seats in the control valve are likley bad, they come in the rebuild kit.

The steering box is really pretty easy, just be sure you dont loose any bearings, cuz you cant get new ones, you have to get used ones.. and there are quite a few in there.

The top seal around the box can also not be bought so if it looks ok reuse it...if not you can use a valve cover grommett :)

I will be happy to rebuild you box for you if you would like to ship it...will probably take me a week or two to get it done.....I would like to do a few more to get some practice lol...some boxes are beyond repair tho unless you buy used parts...one easy way to tell is to turn it and see if it gets tight in about the middle of the full rotation...if so you can probably rebuild it, unless the bearings are all eaten up, and in that case you will have to buy used....there are many parts inside that can be bad and you never know it until you get in there.

My box is actually good and tight so i know i did it right, but i am NO EXPERT, just some one who likes to be able to say i know how to do that and i did it on my own car LOL.

If you would like me to take a shot, get a kit and send the box and kit to me and i will take a crack at it, i wont charge anything. I like doing meticuilous small stuff. If all is salvageable im sure i can get it right.

After all i rebuilt my first 9" rear end on my own and it runs perfect LOL

Mike

No problem Ed, anything to help a fellow Mustanger, besides like i said i love doing stuff like that....now dont take the box apart and then go OH SHIT let me send this to Mike with some parts missing LOL I need to take it apart and do it hahah....I can do the control valve and Cyl as well, provided the Cyl isnt Shot, but they are cheep.

Just let me know....Where in Texas are you...thought i remembered hearing you were from Houston area?

Mike

No problem Ed, anything to help a fellow Mustanger, besides like i said i love doing stuff like that....now dont take the box apart and then go OH SHIT let me send this to Mike with some parts missing LOL I need to take it apart and do it hahah....I can do the control valve and Cyl as well, provided the Cyl isnt Shot, but they are cheep.

Just let me know....Where in Texas are you...thought i remembered hearing you were from Houston area?

Mike