Sign in to follow this  
manley

Quarter/tail light corners ... these might be tough

I ran into my first major fit problem with reproduction parts... the corners that fit under the quarter panel extensions. At first glance they seem to fit well, but I didn't notice that they don't hug the contour of the tail light panel well... and once I get them looking good with the tail light panel, the holes for the extension studs don't line up well with those in the quarter panel.

My thoughts for the moment: most of this won't be seen, fit it to the tail light panel for now, forget the 3 extension holes and use the extension to get the new quarter panel lined up well modifying the corner as necessary....

I have one tacked in place and am stopping for the night to think about things. If anyone else has replaced these, please throw your thoughts and experience at me! :yes:

Not looking forward to the wheel houses I've read horror stories about...

Sounds like I made the right choice in how I fitted these then.... thanks BuckeyeDemon! Especially since I just finished welding the corners in.

Now, which comes first, wheel houses or full quarter panels? It's going to feel so good to be done with panel replacement!

Gotcha.... I will probably cut out the wheelhouses and then see how well I can clamp them to everything before cutting the quarter. This helps me figure out my plan on how I'm going to weld the pieces together, also. And I'll hopefully know what fitment problems I'll run into.

I didn't see this problem coming with the quarter corners because I didn't realize how they should wrap around the contour of the tail light panel. Live and learn! It can all be fixed, though, no matter what happens.

Thanks!