Sign in to follow this  
Mike65

Setting up compressor

I am in the process of running a 220V line for my compressor & my welder & was thinking of putting the compressor outside to limit the noise in the garage & to save space as I only have a 1 car garage to work in. Has any one done this?, & what are your thoughts on doing this?. Any help would be appriciated.

Mike.

I guess it depends on what type of compressor you are getting, if it was just a tank with none of the valves or pressure gauges on it it would probably be OK for several years in the Jersey weather. If not then not only would it need some kind of protection against the elements but depending on the type of tools you would be using going outside everytime you want to change the pressure or shut it off and on could be a PITA. I have a one car garage too and I just tuck mine in the corner.

The compressor I already have is a rather large horizontal tank with the motor & the compressor head mounted on the top of the tank. I was thinking of building an enclosure for it & running the electrical line into the garage where I have an 30A, 240V fuseable on/off throw switch & also run the air line into the garage also so I can hook up to it very easily.

Ah I see. Mine is just a 32 gal and it's vertical top mount so it's easier for me. Unless you are in the habit of purging the tank after each use you may want to insulate the enclosure a little. I usually empty it each time to avoid rusting inside but I have forgotten a few times and fortunately it doesn't get much use in the winter. Not sure what would happen if even a small amount of water vapor froze inside but I don't want to find out.