Sign in to follow this  
MikeStang

Drum brake rebuild video

Ed.

Its exactly the same except the cable comes in from the forward side of the backing plate, and just attatches to a little swing lever in there that is held on by a little C chaped clip that you have to squish together...i have never had to buy a new one you can always reuse the old one...its very easy just take your time....I could probably actually do a brake job with a pair of needle nose pliers, a flat head screw driver and thats about it LOL.

You will have a little spring thats on the cable that is probably the hardest thing to do, you jave to push it back with your pliers to snap the little arm on to it.

Before you take it apart just take a few pics that will help more than anything

When you tear it all down and go to put it back together, remember where the longer pad came from, if i recall its from the back of the set up...just look and see how they are on there now....then take that rear pad and it is the one that the little lever goes on, go ahead and install the leverbefore you put it all together, next thing i do is go ahead and install the cable back on the little lever, then put your hold down pins and spring on that pad, then install the front pad. Then put your upper springs on, then i like to stick my adjuster in there loosley, you may have to crank it out to make it stay, then take the adjuster stop and hook it on the pad, then stick the spring through it and pull the other end like hell with your pliers of brake tool, and hook it into the front pad....Voila its done now adjust and go :)

I wish people lived closer to me, i would love to help folks work on their cars and help them learn, there just are not enough of us "old School mechanic types" any more....kinda sad really...several of the performance shops around here deal with only fuel injection and wont even touch a carburetor, or regular distributor LOL.

Hell one of them is a dyno shop, they will dyno, and tell you the EGT and AFR and all the other shit then leave you on your own to tune carb, set timing Etc...

Mike

Oh if i had another car here, i would gladly make you another video, but my buddies car is done LOL.

I will however be installing a 4 barrell intake and carb on it here pretty soon, and i plan on doucmenting it....i just dont know how to edit and all that crap so i will have to start and stop it to get through the boring crap LOL

Mike

Looking forward to the carb video. I think my e-brake problem was just an issue with the release handle and probably nothing wrong at the drum. I'll confirm next time I lower it from the jack stands.