Sign in to follow this  
miketyler

70 Mach 351C AOD conversion driveshaft length?

Am fitting my driveshaft now and it looks like the stock shaft may work with no length mods. However judging from the wear pattern on the AOD yoke looks like it may be in farther than it was originally. How can I tell for certain?

I know during operation the distance from the tailshaft to the yoke can vary and there needs to be proper allowance for thrust travel. Car is a 351C Mach with 9" rear end and 2" dearched springs.

Did you have an FMX or C4 originally? Depending on the tail shaft length of the AOD you are using, there are two different lengths, you may be just fine or you may have to cut an inch off of your drive line. Make sure the yoke is clean inside and out. Then install it and see how she fits. If the drive line slides in far enough to easily bolt in the rear u-joint you will be just fine. Bruce

Hi Bruce - thanks for responding. Car was an origianl FMX car. I just went out and bought new U-joints so will see how easy it is to put driveshaft back in. Obviously if it bottoms out at the trans end I will have some work to do. :0)

Was odd that they had two different size UJoints for a 351C, one 3.2" and one 3.6". Maybe one was for the 9" rear end cars? I got the 3.6", will see if they fit.

You should be good to go then with the 3/4"! Too cool that the stock driveshaft worked out, but then again I'm not surprised considering the AOD was actually designed from an FMX ;)

Some good info: http://www.baumannengineering.com/aodefund.htm

http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/techarticles/0911rc_ford_automatic_transmission/viewall.html