Sign in to follow this  
miketyler

Interior restoration: best paint and dye products?

Just ordered from FinishMaster in Oklahoma. Apparently Finishmaster locations in Texas cannot sell it. Funny that English Color was willing to sell to me with up to a month lead time LOL.

My next hurdle will be removal of paint from the fiberglass panels. Someone had mentioned Easy-off oven cleaner?

Yeah, Easy Off HD with lye is the only variant that works. Use it outdoors at least 72*, coat heavy, let sit for 15-20 minutes then wash off. You may have to do 2-3 applications. A stiff plastic brush will help remove old paint off of the fiberglass. Easy Off HD will not affect metal, chrome, etc.

Went and picked up the black 2K primer yesterday. Was nice and surprisingly cool yesterday when I set out to strip panels. I couldn't get my pressure washer started so I tried the EasyOff and while it looks like it worked it was very slow. I had an extra panel to experiment with so I tried the Home Depot premium stripper on and it worked great. I couldn't tell that there was any damage done to the texture coating or to my fiberglass spot repairs. One quick application would reveal the true charcoal color with the noted metallic clearly visible in the sun.

All was going well until I got to the two large rear panels. These had been painted previously and in the recess of the arm rests there was notable paint buildup with resultant softening of the grain. This is where the fun began. When I put the stripper on it immediately removed and bubbled up the paint that I had applied. Whatever the previous owners had put on did loosen up but became a gummy nightmare. I spent the rest of the afternoon just cleaning those two panels. It was a lot of wiping and I think I went thru a half gallon of Acetone in the process.

Hopefully I can get the metal fold down seat panels stripped today and get them all primed and ready for paint. Does this lacquer have any gloss to it at all? Any tips on spray application other than what we have discussed previous?

Edited by miketyler

Got them all bead blasted, stripped, primed and finally painted today. Man, what a difference. The dark charcoal metallic lacquer went on great and the finish was nice and uniform. I guess if you want professional results, you have to buy professional products.