Sign in to follow this  
CarZombie

Right paint for 1970 grills.

Early November I asked for help in getting the right paint for 1970 grills. Link here: http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=10625

Response from the original thread was to use National Part Depot (NPD) paint, part number AP-GPA, which is sold as Medium Charcoal, correct shade for 1970grills. I was finally able to spray the grill last weekend. The bottom line is this is the correct shade of paint. As I said in the original request for help, the Scott Drake Paint, part number L-17500 is too light and too silver. It does not have enough black in it to give it the Charcoal look of the original. Of course everyone is saying, why no pictures? Digital camera went out right as I started the re-paint project. Sorry.

If you are doing a repaint of the grill and other front end pieces, I would recommend getting 2 cans of paint. I found it takes a little practice to get the coverage right, especially on the grill. The headlight trim and chrome pieces were fairly easy. However, if you are too heavy with the paint, you will get black spots in the finish. You are much better off spraying a little light and then going back over it than trying to get one coat that covers everything. All and all I am very happy I did not settle for the Scott Drake Paint and I took the time to get the right paint. Thanks Fordrevhead and buening.