Sign in to follow this  
rmarks

4-Speed Speedo Cable Routing

I have the Jim Osborne manual, but the illustration on how to route a 4-speed speedo cable isn't helpful. I have a 351W by the way. Anyone have a picture(s) of how it's supposed to be installed. Last thing left to do in my tranny swap from auto to manual.

It runs through the torque box.... I have seen a pictorial showing how someone recreated it. There is actually a piece of curved sheetmetal inside the torque box that guides it in through the top and out the bottom.

It runs through the torque box.... I have seen a pictorial showing how someone recreated it. There is actually a piece of curved sheetmetal inside the torque box that guides it in through the top and out the bottom.

No, thats the ebrake cable you are thinking of. See this thread and picture:

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=7119

Here's the 4-Speed Cable Bracket on the firewall (figure "W") from that diagram in the other thread.

This bracket does NOT come with cable, must purchase separately ...

http://www.cjponyparts.com/SPEEDOMETER-CABLE-RETAINER-AT-FIREWALL-4-SPEED-1967-1970/p/HW772/

I had not seen this diagram before so I just guessed at it's location and mounted it to the same hole as the brake line bracket ... hard to really tell from the diagram, but I think I got it right because prior to having this bracket, my cable rubbed on the steering shaft and now it no longer does.

Doug

Anyone have any pictures of the routing or where it attaches elsewhere on the car besides the firewall like stangs-R-me posted. I've got it installed but the routing is not right and I tie strapped it for the time being to prevent from melting on the exhaust. The digram in the Osborn manual is not helping. :confused: