Sign in to follow this  
prayers1

Help repairing Rim Blow Steering Wheel pad

Today I picked up a 69 Rim Blow Steering Wheel off of a craigslist seller for $150. I viewed several websites that repair these steering wheels, but I would like to repair the 3 spoke pad myself if possible for now. Cost is the reason. There are 2 cracks on the woodgrain and the Black plastic sections of the wheel are good, the same for the rim blow horn.

As you can see, the 3 spoke pad swelled. How do you pull it all back in. I've read others have used contact cement, but what do you glue it to?

If someone has done this repair themselves, please advise.

Thank You!

RimBlowSteeringWheel002.jpg

RimBlowSteeringWheel004.jpg

I got your PM, I have fixed a split before but not an internal bulge like that. The split on my 70 pad was about 2.5" long and was along the simulated stitch line. I think thats a nice wheel for $150 especially if the switch still works.

I cleaned out the loose foam out of the slot, then coated the inside foam surfaces with weldwood contact cement. I squeezed it and worked it in so it absorbed the gluebut left it open to dry. The next day I put in a very light coat, let it tack up for about 20 mins, then closed the wound and taped it closed with masking tape. has held up fine now for over a year. Not perfect but much better than it was.

The bulge doesnt look that bad but I would attempt a similar measure going in from the backside.

Edited by miketyler

Thanks Mike for getting back to me.

I can squeeze the bulge back into it's original position with no problem, but how do you retain that position. Once I let go it pops back out of shape. I'm having a hard time figuring that out. It can be repaired for $145, by RimBlow. I'm sure it's no big secret on how to do it. There must be someone besides a company that knows how to fix this.

The pads are only $84.95 at Mustangs Unlimited.

BTW mine looks like that too and I'm thinking I'll try the DIY route. Please post pics of your results.

BTW When you're getting ready to fix the wheel its self here is an article from Mustang Monthly http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techarticles/mump_9908_classic_ford_mustang_steering_wheel_restoration/viewall.html