Sign in to follow this  
BillEBobb

Anybody replaced Vert lift cylinder?

Has anybody out there replaced the lift cylinders (ram) in your convertible?

The amount of space in and around the cylinder makes it look like a real bitch. :cursing:

Also, what is your opinion regarding replacing only one lift cylinder? Since only one is leaking (at top) I see no reason to go through the expense of purchasing both cylinders.

Thanks,

Bill

I replaced one, you should not have any problem with that. You have to take the rear seat out and the side cover, but then it is easy from what I remember. YOu have to work it a bit to get the air out, but just going up and down an few times does that. You will need to keep topping off the resevior and letting the air out, but it is easy.

I replaced mine a couple of months ago. The problem with the original cylinders is that the connection where you screw in the tube is made of plastic. So they will all eventually leak since the cyclinders move around when the top is put up/down. Replace both with a good aftermarket cylinder because this plastic is 40 years old and if one is leaking the other is not far behind.

I ordered mine from http://www.convertibleparts.com/hydrauli.htm and they are all metal. It takes about 20 minutes to install if the top is not on, but the location does make it difficult to get to with the top on.

I replaced mine a couple of months ago. The problem with the original cylinders is that the connection where you screw in the tube is made of plastic. So they will all eventually leak since the cyclinders move around when the top is put up/down. Replace both with a good aftermarket cylinder because this plastic is 40 years old and if one is leaking the other is not far behind.

I ordered mine from http://www.convertibleparts.com/hydrauli.htm and they are all metal. It takes about 20 minutes to install if the top is not on, but the location does make it difficult to get to with the top on.

I understand that leaking is caused by an internal seal that blows out. Bottom seals are replaceable but uppers can't be replaced.

Mine were leaking from the top. So I replaced both since they are both 40 years old. I'm just passing on the lesson I learned a few months ago. If you trust that yours will not crack and ruin your interior after you get it all together, then go for it.

Same with 40 year old plastic lines, btw.

Mine were leaking from the top. So I replaced both since they are both 40 years old. I'm just passing on the lesson I learned a few months ago. If you trust that yours will not crack and ruin your interior after you get it all together, then go for it.

Same with 40 year old plastic lines, btw.

The lines were replaced during this restoration! Budget won't allow replacing both of the cylinders at this time. Maybe later.

What has been said about the connections is true. The place where the hose connects to the cylinder is plastic, and that is where mine leaked. i replaced one of mine 24 years ago with the factory part, the other is still original to the car. My top goes up and down about a hundred times during each year, so I think the Ford product is alright. I would say to just replace the one that leaks. You could also put a bucket under it and keep refilling the fluid with the one you have...