Sign in to follow this  
prayers1

Door lock question

In order to open the door each time I have to put the key in the door lock cylinder and turn it, then press the handle. If I just press the handle the door won't open w/o turning the key.

From the inside, I have to pull up on the door lock knob 1st, then pull the handle to open the door.

I've looked inside the door to see if anything seems missing, broke or unhooked as if a plastic clip has broke, but to no avail.

It all looks foreign to me, what am I missing?

The mechanism that holds the door lock knob up is incorporated into the door lock mechanism itself. To remove it, you will have to remove the door panel, handles, arm rest and the three (?) screws that hold it to the door that you can see if you look at the area around the latch. You might be able to repair it once it is out of the door. New latch mechanisms are available from mustang suppliers.

The door panel is off. I've just been staring at it dumb founded. It looks like everything is attached. Nothing is hanging off. When you pull up on the knob that unlocks the door, it just falls down. I think it needs to click into something to keep it up. From Inside, I can't open the door unless I pull up on the knob and then use the door handle. From outside, I can't open the door with the push button handle unless I turn the key to the right, then push the door handle button.

OK Prayers1, this otta do it. There is a small spring that is located between the two pieces of metal that puts tension on the door locking mechanism. If this spring is broken or missing the door lock rod will not stay up. Look at where the pencil is pointing to see the spring. This is a brand new door latch for a 69/70 Mustang from Scott Drake that I did not use. I hope this helps. If you are interested in the door latch send me a pm.

pb080001.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

pb080002t.jpg

I see, it's on the side facing the driver. I can't locate it in my picture. I'll have to check tomorrow. Do you think I have to remove the whole unit just to look at it.

I hope I can angle my camera towards it.

Yes, Nice picture and the pencil helps. Thank You!