Sign in to follow this  
frankenstang

This car is going to send me to the asylum, transmission issue!

I just finished installing the freshly rebuilt 200, freshly rebuilt C4, and got everything set to fire for the first time. After fiddling for a few she kicked right over. I let it run as advised by the engine builder for about 15 minutes at 1500 rpm, then let it cool to ambient temperature, then 20 minutes at 1500. All went great, just have to fine tune it. NOW THE ISSUES! While it was idling at about 800 rpm, I started to shift it in and out of gear as advised by the transmission shop. The car is up on ramps in the front and jack stands in the rear. After going in drive for a few a saw smoke from beneath the car. I shut it down and got under to take a look and there was transmission fluid everywhere. Looked like it came from the vent tube. A fair amount of it. When I restarted the car nothing more came out but there seemed to be some still oozing out of the overflow. I only had put 7 quarts in so far.

To add insult to injury, when I went out this morning to start it again there was nothing. She. Ranked but wouldn't turn over. I know it isn't related but holy crap.

Any transmission ideas before I call the shop. I can't really drive it there because it isn't road worthy yet.

Thanks,

Steve

This has probably already been checked, but it there a chance it could be the coolant lines? There is also the chance the tranny was overfilled with fluid and it is fine now? I say call the shop and chat with them about it.

For the motor, step back and review it all. It must be something simple...

was the tranny initially filled while the car was already on ramps? Wondering if maybe the converter hadn't filled up and the pan area was so full that it came out of the vent. Just a thought.