Sign in to follow this  
prayers1

Accessory Post ???

What is the Accessory Post on the inside fuse panel for. Mine and I assume all 69's have a 3 female prog with one center line connected to a light bulb. Where does that bulb go to and can I use that acc post to power a Tach or a 12 volt supply for volt meter.

Thats very interesting. I will have to look at mine and see if that harness is there with that plug on it, and then get out the master wiring diagram and see where it goes to. Is there 12 volts at that post? If so, I would think that it could be used with about anything, as long as the wire coming from that plug that shows the 3 holes in it is fused. Back then, almost all the accessories had their own fuse in line for accessories that were later added, like say a CB radio, reverb, extra lights and such.:confused:

On your album, you have a page 55, that has the fuse block on it. There looks to be a wire coming off there at the fuse block, and if you follow it over to page 52, it looks like it goes to the cigar lighter. You would have to see what color of wire you have at that plug, if there is a wire in it, and just trace it back from the drawings you have posted. If you don't have that plug, I sure would find out if there is power at that nut, and then maybe there is a harness that can be bought to bolt on to that connector. Its worth a try.

I believe it was part of an optional equipment group. I'm not sure which. My car does not have that acc. post as never was equipped with it either. I know, I have taken my car down to the last nut and bolt. While it was there I inspected the under dash harness and there was absolutely no evidence that acc. post was ever there. To bad too.

Does your car have one or are you just looking at the wiring diagram? If it does it should be a constant 12v source as I read it on my diagram books. Check it out with a voltmeter to be sure. I think you need a switch 12v source for a tach. Bruce

It was used for a variety of purposes, but yes all optional equipment. One use was for the parking brake light on the tach cars. The switch at the parking brake closed the circuit to ground, lighting the bulb. It was also used for the seat belt light on the tach cars which was another add on light on the lower dash. I believe it was also used for the add on 8 track stereo and the rear defroster.

Although my car didn't come with one (as most cars did not) I use mine for a switch that allows my Schroth seat belts to sense motion and lock up, to operate an electric trunk release, and to monitor voltage with a gauge in the console.

69gmachine- Are you saying that I can hook up my mechanical volt meter to this post. If so, do I install a inline fuse. It is tied into fuse #2, 20 amp.

This harness is not the original, as mine was butchered by the PO. I bought this off eBay, it was a direct fit. I don't think it has the Tach wiring.

Edited by prayers1

I took a look at my fuse box, and yes there is an accessory post on it with a small harness attached to it just as the picture above shows. It goes to a light socket, but I haven't a clue to where it goes. This harness was sent out to be refurbished, so I just emailed Randy to see if he added that to the fuse box or what. You can tell it is new, but I don't remember seeing that thing on there before. I will see what he says.

I believe it was part of an optional equipment group. I'm not sure which. ... it should be a constant 12v source as I read it on my diagram books. Check it out with a voltmeter to be sure. I think you need a switch 12v source for a tach. Bruce

It is actually a "switched" power source.

The Accessory Post and added 20A Fuse came with the Visibility Group (power for E-Brake Light), Deluxe Seat Belts (power for Seat Belt Light), Tilt Wheel, and Speed Control options. As there were only 3 available terminals, I wonder what Ford did if your car had ALL 4 options ??

My car came with both the Visibility Group and the Deluxe Belts and you can see the fuse, post, and 3 port connector in the pic below. I've filled the 3rd port with a "Y" going to two more added accessories ... my Autometer Gauges (volt, oil psi, & water temp) and a radar detector plug above the visor.

All non-tach dashes have the Seat Belt Warning indicator / bezel built into the cluster. The option just has a separate harness with a light bulb socket that turns into the back of any std. cluster.

When I added the Tach cluster to my car, I swapped in the non-tach cluster ALT gauge in place of the TEMP gauge and added the Autometer gauges at the same time so I had no use for the Alt & Oil idiot lights. Instead of trying tro track down the ultra-rare (and $$) Tach Cluster Seat Belt Light assy, I decided to do a slight mod to the Tach cluster and carfully cut out the "OIL" indicator lens and replaced it with a "SEAT BELT" lens that I cut out of a non-tach cluster. I then had to make a bulb socket adapter as the non-tach seat belt light socket uses a bigger hole than the std. OIL indicator. I took apart a bayonet bulb and soldered wires into it to go into the existing seat belt bulb socket. Then took a dash light bulb socket and cut away some plastic on the sides so I could bend up the contacts and solder the wires to it. Then used Goop to solidify and insulate my connections on both ends.

Guess I got a bit off topic, but not too far !!

Pic of my custom Seat Belt light mod below too.

Doug

Edited by stangs-R-me

It is actually a "switched" power source.

The Accessory Post and added 20A Fuse came with the Visibility Group (power for E-Brake Light), Deluxe Seat Belts (power for Seat Belt Light), Tilt Wheel, and Speed Control options. As there were only 3 available terminals, I wonder what Ford did if your car had ALL 4 options ??

My car came with both the Visibility Group and the Deluxe Belts and you can see the fuse, post, and 3 port connector in the pic below. I've filled the 3rd port with a "Y" going to two more added accessories ... my Autometer Gauges (volt, oil psi, & water temp) and a radar detector plug above the visor.

All non-tach dashes have the Seat Belt Warning indicator / bezel built into the cluster. The option just has a separate harness with a light bulb socket that turns into the back of any std. cluster.

When I added the Tach cluster to my car, I swapped in the non-tach cluster ALT gauge in place of the TEMP gauge and added the Autometer gauges at the same time so I had no use for the Alt & Oil idiot lights. Instead of trying tro track down the ultra-rare (and $$) Tach Cluster Seat Belt Light assy, I decided to do a slight mod to the Tach cluster and carfully cut out the "OIL" indicator lens and replaced it with a "SEAT BELT" lens that I cut out of a non-tach cluster. I then had to make a bulb socket adapter as the non-tach seat belt light socket uses a bigger hole than the std. OIL indicator. I took apart a bayonet bulb and soldered wires into it to go into the existing seat belt bulb socket. Then took a dash light bulb socket and cut away some plastic on the sides so I could bend up the contacts and solder the wires to it. Then used Goop to solidify and insulate my connections on both ends.

Guess I got a bit off topic, but not too far !!

Pic of my custom Seat Belt light mod below too.

Doug

Well, there you have it..... Nice mod Doug. Bruce

69gmachine- Are you saying that I can hook up my mechanical volt meter to this post. If so, do I install a inline fuse. It is tied into fuse #2, 20 amp.

This harness is not the original, as mine was butchered by the PO. I bought this off eBay, it was a direct fit. I don't think it has the Tach wiring.

It is not necessary to add another in line fuse for your voltmeter. If you were adding something that needed to be protected below 20A, then yes another in line fuse would be a good idea.

When I added the Tach cluster to my car, I swapped in the non-tach cluster ALT gauge in place of the TEMP gauge and added the Autometer gauges at the same time so I had no use for the Alt & Oil idiot lights.

Agree on the useless OIL idiot light, but I've found the ALT light to be a great troubleshooting tool. If it's on, you're not charging your battery, and you need to figure out why.

Instead of trying tro track down the ultra-rare (and $$) Tach Cluster Seat Belt Light assy...

Although not a correct reproduction, the '67 or '68 console jewel set includes a jewel that I believe says "SEATS" that could be used. I don't believe they actually said SEATS even in the 67-68 cars, as an original I saw at Carlisle said BELTS just like the 69 cars had.

I installed the volt gauge to it and it works fine, since it is keyed on power.

There is a green factory wire attached to the assy post with a bulb at the end for the E Brak. I know because, when I put on the Emergency brake the light lites up.