Sign in to follow this  
69isfine

Headers and Exhaust

I went to Midas and got a quote for a walker exhaust kit for $875 installed. Mustang sites have ones for $400 for the entire system. Has anyone installed their own exhaust "kits"?

I am also considering headers so your advice is appreciated.

I went to Midas and got a quote for a walker exhaust kit for $875 installed. Mustang sites have ones for $400 for the entire system. Has anyone installed their own exhaust "kits"?

I am also considering headers so your advice is appreciated.

Installing a kit is not that bad. Certainly can be done in a day if not an afternoon. The biggest issue is the location of the kit with the headers so if you buy headers to match the kit it shouldnt be bad. Of course changing the headers can take half a day alone... watch it depending on length of headers, engine and tranni many are very specific. Also get a tube of Ultra copper rtv. If you have ANY misalignment on the collector flanges at all, I personally toss the gaskets and put a 3/8" bead of that on. Hand tighten and let sit overnight to form a gasket then torque down the next morning.

Best of luck.

Installing a kit is not that bad. Certainly can be done in a day if not an afternoon. The biggest issue is the location of the kit with the headers so if you buy headers to match the kit it shouldnt be bad. Of course changing the headers can take half a day alone... watch it depending on length of headers, engine and tranni many are very specific. Also get a tube of Ultra copper rtv. If you have ANY misalignment on the collector flanges at all, I personally toss the gaskets and put a 3/8" bead of that on. Hand tighten and let sit overnight to form a gasket then torque down the next morning.

Best of luck.

FWIW I paid around $400 for the 2.5" Magnaflow Stainless exhaust kit and paid a local exhaust shop (not name brand like Midas) $80 to install the kit. Hardest part for them was to install the header collectors to the lead pipe. I chose to use the Jeg's brand stainless header reducer/collector to match the stainless pipes. I think they were around $25. I'm using Hooker Comp headers. If you use manifolds, you will need an extension pipes as these exhaust kits are designed for full length headers.

FWIW I paid around $400 for the 2.5" Magnaflow Stainless exhaust kit and paid a local exhaust shop (not name brand like Midas) $80 to install the kit. Hardest part for them was to install the header collectors to the lead pipe. I chose to use the Jeg's brand stainless header reducer/collector to match the stainless pipes. I think they were around $25. I'm using Hooker Comp headers. If you use manifolds, you will need an extension pipes as these exhaust kits are designed for full length headers.

Looks like the price has went up on Performance Peddler. I think mine was $348 a few years back but now its around $540. Still not horrible considering this is stainless and not aluminized. You could always shoot them an offer and see what they can do. Here is one on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/67-70-Ford-Mustang-MagnaFlow-Dual-Exhaust-15816-/130563381333?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e662f1855

Looks like the price has went up on Performance Peddler. I think mine was $348 a few years back but now its around $540. Still not horrible considering this is stainless and not aluminized. You could always shoot them an offer and see what they can do. Here is one on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/67-70-Ford-Mustang-MagnaFlow-Dual-Exhaust-15816-/130563381333?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e662f1855

+1 except I had exisiting long tube headers of an unknown make.

+1 except I had exisiting long tube headers of an unknown make.

Forgot to mention you need to type Bestoffer4 into the discount. Just did it and it was 389.00!

I would be all over it, but my favorite sounding exhaust is spintech, so my local guy is custom making a system and subframes for me.

Forgot to mention you need to type Bestoffer4 into the discount. Just did it and it was 389.00!

I would be all over it, but my favorite sounding exhaust is spintech, so my local guy is custom making a system and subframes for me.

Best of luck.

thanks for the tip. what is your preference, shorties or long tube.

Best of luck.

thanks for the tip. what is your preference, shorties or long tube.