Sign in to follow this  
Wycked69

Front Floor Crossmember at tunnel

Guy's new toi the forum and this is my first post.

I am not new to mustangs as I have restored and own a 68 fastback, 66 rag top. However, I'm now helping my brother with his 69.

I have a stumper here. Were replacing floor pans (complete one piece) as well as floor supports and front floor crossmember (at tranny tunnel). We are having trouble finding a front floor cross member that is suited for the 69.

We have only found available the 64 - 70 or the 67-68 specific. We bought the 64 - 70 style from CJ Pony parts that is suggested for 64 through 70. However, its very narrow where the transmission bracket would attach. It would require spacers for the transmission crossmember to fit properly.

The one on the car is a full width all the way through. The one on my 68 fastback is also full width. Is it possible we can use the 67 -68 specific front floor crossmember since its a full width and would allow the tranmission bracket to fit properly.

We want to do this right and would appreciate anyone who is knowledgable in this area to advise us our best route. We dont really want to use the original as its rusted and would need repairs.

Are you asking about the welded in brace, in the trans tunnel or the bolt in transmission cross member? If talking about the weld in i have only see one for all en/trans, I have a perfect 70 in the garage you may have a for a very reasonable price, nothing like original parts. If you are referring to the bolt in trans cross member they are different depending on trans & engine.

Edited by jmlay

I'm referring to the welded in type. I know the bolt in ones are different depending on the use of the C4 / 4-speed, FMX and C6.

The welded in crossmember is what I'm looking for. I've checked all the mustang parts houses including, CJ Pony Prts, NPD, Dynacorn, Goodmark, etc. and they all show only 2-styles.

> 65 - 66 specific but will fit 64 - 70 cars

> 67 - 68 specific

I bought the one that will fit 64 to 70. However, where the transmission crossmember bolts to it, its to narrow. If you tightened the bolts for the tranny cross member, you would crush the ears of the tranner cross member on each side.

BUT, While I know the 67- 68 is a full width from one end to the other and the tranny cross member when bolted would fit properly(no gaps at the ears), I dont know if it would place it at the correct height or something. Cant figure out why its 67 - 68 specific. Otherwise, id order it.

JMlay,........Can you send me a PM and let me know what your asking for the 70 front floor crossmember that you say is perfect. I Agree, OEM parts are always the best choice. Especially sheet metals.

Thanks

Rick