Sign in to follow this  
MikeStang

Need some carb help

Just rebuilt one of the little 2 barrel motorcrap carbs...reason for rebuild was it had a hesitation, and was surging slightly going down the road, and after the car got warmed up you would have to hold it to the floor to make it start....All carb related symptoms...

I pulled her apart and it was full of crap in the bowl, several passages were almost completley clogged, and some dumb ass put silicone on the manifold base and carb base gaskets, in addition to the gasket ...WTF....

So i get her done, and she fired right up and after adjusting the idle mix screws to farther out than i felt like they should have been, she was purring like a kitten.....So its now test drive time.......Get it on the road, and ease into it, then she has a hesitation and pulls through it, so i go a bit further down the road at part throttle, and i can still feel it surging like it wants to smooth out but it just keeps surging ever so slightly....most normal people probably wouldnt even feel it LOL...

So i come back home and adjust the pump setting from 3 to 4...no change, then i move the pump rod from the inside hole to the outside hole...no change...then back to the inside hole and i start going up and down the pump rod through all 4 holes and still has the SAME SURGE and hesitation...so i bump up the timing, that does squat....so its now 2:49 AM and im sitting here all pissed off and typing this....So in conclusion i Need some help.....dont know that i have ever had one of these little carbs i couldnt get the hesitation out of, or at least go better or worse when i make adjustments.....beginning to think it could be in the timing advance, maybe not coming on fast enough...Oh dist has petronix and i recently replaced the vac advance, the old one had a blown diaphram, and the new one seems to pull in too much timing even tho i have it adjusted ALL the way down.......Oh i had the timing set at 6, then 8, then 10 Etc... and hesitation never left me :( and surge was always there, no better, no worse.

Almost to the point where i wanna just get a new carb to see what happens :-/

OH Carb is an Autolite 2100 from what i can tell :o

Edited by MikeStang