Sign in to follow this  
TheMenace

Shaker not fitting under hood

I have a 69 fastback. It was an original 302 car. I bought a 351w and the short style motor mounts. The 351w has an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, 1/4" carb spacer and a quickfuel carb. I bought the small block shaker assembly from CJ Pony parts. When I go to close the hood it lines up with the shaker about 1-2 inches to high before the hood fully closes.

Anyone have any ideas on what could be the problem?

Well, the 351w has a taller block than the 302. And I'm sure the Edelbrock is taller than the factory 351w intake as well. The carb spacer isn't helping either. Add that all up and you have your 1-2" clearance issue.

So that leaves you with some decisions to make. Like finding a factory 351w base for a 69 as they are different from the 302 because the 351w is taller. Possibly changing out the intake. Get rid of the spacer if possible. Changing hoods. Hope that helps. Bruce

I built my friends 69 and he has the EXACT same everything as mine except his was an original 351 block. You think the base is different from a 302? I haven't looked into that yet but it's the only thing left I haven't replaced.

Just went to mustangsunlimited site and viewed their mounts for the 351w. The pic of their short looks 2 inches shorter than the short mounts I got from CJ Pony parts. I have no clue why the pics for the same part are different from one site to the other but I will try the short style mounts from mustangsunlimited and see if those are shorter. With the luck I am having with this car I wouldn't be surprised....

The only 302 that came with a shaker was the 70 Boss 302, and it's only slightly taller than a 351W base.

The big problem is the RPM intake is just too tall. There are very few choices for intakes on a 351W with a shaker. The factory iron intake and spacer, the C90X Buddy Bar alum 4bbl intake without a spacer, a regular Performer without a spacer, or the Torker II without a spacer. I'm using a thick carb gasket on the Torker II.

That is using the standard engine mounts of course. If you use drop mounts the fan won't line up in the opening of the shroud, so you have to make a custom shroud or risk overheating.

Edited by 69gmachine
more details

So if i understand what he did, he got a regular filter assembly and modified the top so the shaker would sit on top but not be functional? It's an idea but kinda defeats the purpose of having the shaker.

I agree. what's the point of having a shaker if it does not function. :blink: