Sign in to follow this  
69gmachine

Finally, suspension kits almost done!

It's been a while since I started on my suspension and brake package endeavor, but I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm planning to be a vendor at the MCA National show in Waldorf MD this coming Labor Day weekend.

I tried to incorporate as many suggestions as I could, and to do that I came up with a modular approach that allows for several rotor/caliper combinations and also different steering arm lengths and even centerlink geometries. A complete write up is on page 5 of my Cardomain site, but here are some highlights.

23871564010_large.jpg This is the back side of the ProSpindle with the "A" caliper bracket attached.

23871564005_large.jpg This is the front view.

23871564013_large.jpg This shows the steering foot bolted to the caliper bracket. Inserted in the foot is a slug that has the Granada tie rod taper. The taper hole is offset 5/16 from center, and results in a 5.25" steering arm.

23871564009_large.jpg Here is the whole assembly with the C5 caliper. I designed the bracket to use a couple of other calipers as well since I know not everyone is crazy about putting a Chevy part on their Ford.

23871564017_large.jpg These pictures show the SN-95 Cobra/Bullit/Mach 1 caliper for guys who want a Mustang caliper on their Mustang.23871564018_large.jpg

There are many more rotor and hub combinations that will work, so check out my Cardomain site for the full scoop.

It's been a while since I started on my suspension and brake package endeavor, but I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm planning to be a vendor at the MCA National show in Waldorf MD this coming Labor Day weekend.

I tried to incorporate as many suggestions as I could, and to do that I came up with a modular approach that allows for several rotor/caliper combinations and also different steering arm lengths and even centerlink geometries. A complete write up is on page 5 of my Cardomain site, but here are some highlights.

23871564010_large.jpg This is the back side of the ProSpindle with the "A" caliper bracket attached.

23871564005_large.jpg This is the front view.

23871564013_large.jpg This shows the steering foot bolted to the caliper bracket. Inserted in the foot is a slug that has the Granada tie rod taper. The taper hole is offset 5/16 from center, and results in a 5.25" steering arm.

23871564009_large.jpg Here is the whole assembly with the C5 caliper. I designed the bracket to use a couple of other calipers as well since I know not everyone is crazy about putting a Chevy part on their Ford.

23871564017_large.jpg These pictures show the SN-95 Cobra/Bullit/Mach 1 caliper for guys who want a Mustang caliper on their Mustang.23871564018_large.jpg

There are many more rotor and hub combinations that will work, so check out my Cardomain site for the full scoop.

G, your front end looks interesting. With those wilwoods on the front, you still have rear steering, yes ? I see your site explains that the wils are .400 shorter and have 2* more ICA. Since I am an engine guy, what the heck does that mean ? If a person were going to put the wils on the stock arms, with the spring on the top arm, does that work, or rather can it be done ? Or can the wils be combined with GW arms mounted appropriately lowered ? Your car appears to have the springs bearing against the lower arms up front, instead of the way the factory did it, on the top arms. Is there some advantage to this design ? I have the small 69 and older spindles now, and want to upgrade at some point, but need to learn more about what my options are. LSG

Gmachine, long time no talk to. I've been wondering how this project was going. Quick question can you also still use some stock-ish style rotor and caliper comboa as well. like say the calssic T/A Big Brake setup with the Galaxie rotors and T-bird/Lincoln calipers? heavy as that setup is it's still my favorite choice since I refuse to go with any larger than a 15" wheel on the 69 Cougar once I finally am able to sell the stang

G, your front end looks interesting. With those wilwoods on the front, you still have rear steering, yes ?

Yes

I see your site explains that the wils are .400 shorter and have 2* more ICA. Since I am an engine guy, what the heck does that mean ? If a person were going to put the wils on the stock arms, with the spring on the top arm, does that work, or rather can it be done ?

Yes, you can install them using the stock upper and lower arms, but it will move the wheel outboard about 3/8" and you will have the lower arm extended out so there won't be as much room for adjustment. You will also need to drop the upper arms a little more than the Shelby drop to maintain the same geometry. The extra 2 degrees of ICA will make the car track straighter with less need for more caster. I designed the brackets so that you can set the caster at 3 degrees without any special tools (just a level). The potential downside of more ICA is that they push the wheels outboard (not a problem when designing from scratch) and the steering effort off center is increased slightly. With power steering it's not even noticeable, and if you have low profile P245s or bigger, you need power steering anyway IMO.

Or can the wils be combined with GW arms mounted appropriately lowered ?

The GW upper arms are shorter than stock, so it will work just fine with them, however you may need to ditch the spacer at the shock tower for the best results. IIRC they are also installed lower than the standard Shelby drop, so that should work out very well also.

Your car appears to have the springs bearing against the lower arms up front, instead of the way the factory did it, on the top arms. Is there some advantage to this design ? I have the small 69 and older spindles now, and want to upgrade at some point, but need to learn more about what my options are. LSG

Yes, by moving the spring to the lower arm and as far outboard as practical, the spring rate can be reduced while maintaining the same wheel rate. This allows for a lighter and faster acting spring that keeps the wheel in contact with the road better. To take maximum advantage of this design, it's best to also reduce the unsprung weight as much as possible by using an aluminum caliper, hub and hat with a bolt on rotor. Not everyone's budget allows that, so I've designed an alternate caliper bracket that will use an '05 up Mustang caliper and rotor (either GT or V6) on an original '70 up drum hub. The hub OD must be turned down slightly in order to fit inside the rotor, but this made for a very inexpesive brake option with readily available factory parts.

Sorry i took so long to reply! I hadn't noticed the recent posts, d'oh!

Gmachine, long time no talk to. I've been wondering how this project was going. Quick question can you also still use some stock-ish style rotor and caliper comboa as well. like say the calssic T/A Big Brake setup with the Galaxie rotors and T-bird/Lincoln calipers? heavy as that setup is it's still my favorite choice since I refuse to go with any larger than a 15" wheel on the 69 Cougar once I finally am able to sell the stang

Great to hear from you old friend!

I've been working on a package that will fit inside a 15" wheel, but it's been harder than I expected. By using an '05 up V6 rotor with a Wilwood caliper, it will fit inside a 15" wheel. The problem is that I couldn't fit the hole pattern on either of the caliper brackets I've already designed. I don't know how much market there is for a dedicated bracket for 15" wheels as most people who are going to spend the bucks for a coil over suspension kit are also making wheel upgrades to larger wheels. On the other hand, I know that SOME 15" wheels work with the wilwood caliper on a 12.19 rotor, which I plan to have as an option, but I don't know if a regular production Ford wheel will fit.

I picked up the last remaining pieces of my design to finish 2 different kits today, the C5 and M1, so I'm officially open for business!

My website is raeracing.net, but it's not finished. A friend of mine created it and I'm totally reliant on him to finish it. His wife is a Marine and she just deployed to Bahrain. They have 4 kids so he's rather busy at the moment. I can wait.

Check it out and if you have questions or would like to see more pictures, just let me know.