Sign in to follow this  
TexasEd

Upgrade factory disc brakes on a 69 Mustang?

The car I'm buying back (my old car) has power factory front disc brakes and rear drums. What are the best plans for upgrading the brake system? Are any of the existing components reused?

I have seen a lot about doing a Granada conversion but that sounded like it was for cars that did not already have disc brakes.

If put aftermarket kit on the rear would that leave me out of balance with stock discs in the front?

I also want to put new rear leaf springs and possibly a coil over suspension and R&P steering in the front. Any issues related to the disc brake setup?

My plans are to make it an enjoyable driver that I could take on a road course for fun, not racing.

With those plans should I just leave the factory setup?

Thanks.

The car I'm buying back (my old car) has power factory front disc brakes and rear drums. What are the best plans for upgrading the brake system? Are any of the existing components reused?

I have seen a lot about doing a Granada conversion but that sounded like it was for cars that did not already have disc brakes.

If put aftermarket kit on the rear would that leave me out of balance with stock discs in the front?

I also want to put new rear leaf springs and possibly a coil over suspension and R&P steering in the front. Any issues related to the disc brake setup?

My plans are to make it an enjoyable driver that I could take on a road course for fun, not racing.

With those plans should I just leave the factory setup?

Thanks.

Not sure what size wheels you are running, but I was already running a 17/18 in on mine so I did the Cobra Disc swap in the front and rear of mine. Stock mine had Power Disc front and drum rear. Got the kit from Street or Track and Shaun was great to work with and the kit was very complete and easy to install. Did it all in one weekend, probably could have done it in one day, but took my time. The Street or Track kit allowed me to keep my front Disc spindle, which I wanted to do, and I upgrade to Stainless Steel Lines, and I can tell you it is Much improved. Drove it again this past weekend and what I thought was a good upgrade is getting better as it is breaking in good now.

Here is more details on my build. Hope it helps.

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=9500

Good luck and I would say, it was a great upgrade for me, and I like the looks too.

Not sure what size wheels you are running, but I was already running a 17/18 in on mine so I did the Cobra Disc swap in the front and rear of mine. Stock mine had Power Disc front and drum rear. Got the kit from Street or Track and Shaun was great to work with and the kit was very complete and easy to install. Did it all in one weekend, probably could have done it in one day, but took my time. The Street or Track kit allowed me to keep my front Disc spindle, which I wanted to do, and I upgrade to Stainless Steel Lines, and I can tell you it is Much improved. Drove it again this past weekend and what I thought was a good upgrade is getting better as it is breaking in good now.

Here is more details on my build. Hope it helps.

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=9500

Good luck and I would say, it was a great upgrade for me, and I like the looks too.

Thanks.

It has the stock 14" wheels with hubcaps on it now. The largest I would go is the size you have or maybe 17" on all four.

Initially I might try to pick up a set of factory late model wheels with tires that are so abundant on craigslist if I can figure out the offsets. Then save up for a nicer set in the long run.

I'll do some searches on figuring out offsets unless you guys have some tips.

Thanks.

It has the stock 14" wheels with hubcaps on it now. The largest I would go is the size you have or maybe 17" on all four.

Initially I might try to pick up a set of factory late model wheels with tires that are so abundant on craigslist if I can figure out the offsets. Then save up for a nicer set in the long run.

I'll do some searches on figuring out offsets unless you guys have some tips.