Sign in to follow this  
tharrold

Heater Hose Questions

Hi, I have a '69 ragtop, and I am in the process of re-working the cooling system. I ran new heater hoses, and have a few questions.

1) I bought firewall grommets that are supposed to work, but my firewall has a "flare" where the hoses come through, and the hole is undersized by at least 1/8", so the grommets won't fit. I guess I'm wondering if there were grommets from the factory (they were long gone when I bought the car). There was no apparent damage to the hoses that I removed, so I'm thinking I could just use some black silicone to completely seal the firewall from the inside.

2) Does the top heater hose route above, or below the PCV hose? I assume above, to keep it as straight as possible.

3) My radiator is in pretty rough shape. Any thoughts on a good source for a replacement? Any fit issues with replacement rads?

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Tom

Edited by tharrold

Hi, I have a '69 ragtop, and I am in the process of re-working the cooling system. I ran new heater hoses, and have a few questions.

1) I bought firewall grommets that are supposed to work, but my firewall has a "flare" where the hoses come through, and the hole is undersized by at least 1/8", so the grommets won't fit. I guess I'm wondering if there were grommets from the factory (they were long gone when I bought the car). There was no apparent damage to the hoses that I removed, so I'm thinking I could just use some black silicone to completely seal the firewall from the inside.

2) Does the top heater hose route above, or below the PCV hose? I assume above, to keep it as straight as possible.

3) My radiator is in pretty rough shape. Any thoughts on a good source for a replacement? Any fit issues with replacement rads?

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Tom

Edited by tharrold

Hi Tom,

1. The grommets should work. Did you try and install them from the inside or engine side? When I got my car they were installed from the inside. I have a picture of a concorse car and they're installed from the engine side.

2. I have a picture of a concorse resto and the heater hoses are both below the PVC hose.

The concorse may be right or wrong...I personally dont know for sure and got the pix's off of eBay.

What are your plans for the car?

Hi Tom,

1. The grommets should work. Did you try and install them from the inside or engine side? When I got my car they were installed from the inside. I have a picture of a concorse car and they're installed from the engine side.

2. I have a picture of a concorse resto and the heater hoses are both below the PVC hose.

The concorse may be right or wrong...I personally dont know for sure and got the pix's off of eBay.

What are your plans for the car?

Nice, thanks for the pics. I didn't consider installing them from the inside...that may work out, but it will be DAMN snug. I got the grommets from NPD, and I've had mixed results with items like these in the past.

My car is a "summer driver". (in Chicago, more like a spring/fall driver, since I have a black top and black interior...)

I still want to keep things fairly stock, when I can. I really appreciate the restomod classics, but there's also a beauty in keeping it as close to stock as reasonably possible.

If anyone else has any other pics that would help....please post.

Thanks again.

-tjh

Nice, thanks for the pics. I didn't consider installing them from the inside...that may work out, but it will be DAMN snug. I got the grommets from NPD, and I've had mixed results with items like these in the past.

My car is a "summer driver". (in Chicago, more like a spring/fall driver, since I have a black top and black interior...)

I still want to keep things fairly stock, when I can. I really appreciate the restomod classics, but there's also a beauty in keeping it as close to stock as reasonably possible.

If anyone else has any other pics that would help....please post.

Thanks again.

-tjh