Sign in to follow this  
Big Secz

What Memorial Day is About.....

Living in the VA near DC, every year the Sunday before Memorial Day 100's of thousands of bikers gather at the Pentagon in Arlington, VA and travel to the Vietnam Memorial "The Wall" in DC. This video shows a sole Marine standing at attention as all the bikers pass by him. Some throw flowers and items at his feet. You can see the Marine periodically bow his head fighting back the tears, never once dropping his hand from a solute. This video was from last year, but the Marine stands vigil every year.

Wishing everyone a happy and safe Memorial Day.

Edited by Big Secz

Living in the VA near DC, every year the Sunday before Memorial Day 100's of thousands of bikers gather at the Pentagon in Arlington, VA and travel to the Vietnam Memorial "The Wall" in DC. This video shows a sole Marine standing at attention as all the bikers pass by him. Some throw flowers and items at his feet. You can see the Marine periodically bow his head fighting back the tears, never once dropping his hand from a solute. This video was from last year, but the Marine stands vigil every year.

Wishing everyone a happy and safe Memorial Day.

Edited by Big Secz

I took my 8 year old to the cemetary on Saturday and linked up with the folks from my VFW Post. We planted flags next to the headstones of all who served, then did the same at another cemetary. The next day, our VFW Post hosted Memorial Day ceremonies at both cemetaries. It was good father/son bonding explaining the headstones to him. For example, if the headstone said 1st Infantry Division with a date of death of 6 June 1944, the person probably died on Omaha Beach during D-day. He was very interested, and wants to go back and collect the flags on Saturday.

I took my 8 year old to the cemetary on Saturday and linked up with the folks from my VFW Post. We planted flags next to the headstones of all who served, then did the same at another cemetary. The next day, our VFW Post hosted Memorial Day ceremonies at both cemetaries. It was good father/son bonding explaining the headstones to him. For example, if the headstone said 1st Infantry Division with a date of death of 6 June 1944, the person probably died on Omaha Beach during D-day. He was very interested, and wants to go back and collect the flags on Saturday.