Sign in to follow this  
Blowngt92

MSD Hookup

My mustang had the MSD on a toggle switch and I want to get it to work with the ignition switch. Where would I hook up the switched on MSD wire so that it turns on the box and stays hot in both run and start? everything I find is hot in either run or start, but not both!

You need to remove the resisitor wire from the loom and replace it with a 14ga piece.

The resistor wie is inside the wire loom behind the drivers dash.

remove the looms cover and you will see it, a pink wire marked do not cut or splice.

Not sure which MSD your running, But after you remove the resistor wire and replace it with a standard wire.

You remove the stock coil + feed and hook it to your MSD red wire for switched power feed. The coil gets fed from the msd box.

Are you sure the toggle switch is for on/off. MSD has a security feature that people hook a toggle switch in a hidden place that disables the box so the car cannot be hot wired.

Typically every Msd operates with one positive & one negative hookup a connection to the magneto pickup and then a "switched 12v source" problem is ignition isn't constantly on. It's just on during turn key and then subsequently drops thereafter.