Sign in to follow this  
Wisquared

ALL OF YA'LL!! could use some input on my dillemma

Yeah... a H or M code car with a 428 doesn't have much heft in the collector world. Don't get me wrong, it's a hell of a car to have. But from a collector standpoint, they want it to be a legit Q or R code car. BTW, an H or M code car would've probably had an FMX (or maybe a C4) automatic. I don't think the C6 started appearing behind the small block until '70 or '71 (for the 351C).

So what to do? You should have not guilt or qualms over ditching the 428 for a stroker or whatever you want. It's not going to hurt the collector value of the car. Build whatcha want and enjoy it.

There's several things to look for in determining what your motor is. First and foremost, check the date code on the block. The casting date can be found just below the oil filter adapter on the front driver side of the block. Post up that date and that will help with starting to narrow it down.

The biggest giveaway, though I doubt you have access to it if it's in the car, is to look on the back of the block itself for what looks like someone welded an "A" or a "C" onto it. While not every single CJ/SCJ motor got this, most did, so it can be a pretty good indication.

Is the motor running a hydraulic camshaft? All CJ/SCJ's ran hydraulic cams.

Is the water pump a factory Ford water pump? If so, post up the casting numbers on that and that may also help.