Sign in to follow this  
69ragtop

which water pump?

Hello, I am changing the motor in my 69 convertible from the original 302 to a 1985 351w. I know the water pumps are different but can someone refer me to the correct water pump used for this change?

Thanks,

Kyle

Yep, you did exactly what I would have recommended if you want to still run all the '69 accessory drive & radiator. However you can't use the '69 Balancer on the '85 engine as the balance is different (and a newer balancer will not work with the '69 spec pulleys).

I ran into this same problem when I swapped an '85 HO 5.0L into my '67 Fairlane and to use all the original 289 spec Accessory drive, I had to get a custom balancer. I got this from Total Performance however this was back in 1987, so I don't know if they still exist. I'm sure there are other vendors today who offer a balancer for what you are doing, so locating one should not be a problem.

Also note that you can't use a '69 spec flywheel on the '85 engine either again due to the balance difference.

You local Auto Parts Store should be able to set you up with the right flywheel.

Here's a link to where I think I got my balancer:

http://www.totalperformanceinc.com/5136.html

Doug

Edited by stangs-R-me
added link to Total Performance

'68-69 used a 3-bolt pulley ... Ford switched to a 4-bolt pulley in '70 and also switched the water pump outlet from the pass side to the drivers side.

I don't know if a set of '70 pulleys and front accessory brackets will work with the '85 HO Balancer. If they would, you would still need to find these somewhere. The other issue is where the timing pointer originally was located on the 5.0L ... '69 302/351 is on driver's side and late model is on pass side (maybe even '70-up). So you will not be able to simply check your timing unless you add a pointer on the pass side.

This is why I say find someone who makes a custom late model 5.0L pulley that will work with the '69 accessory drive components you already have ... everything will fit & line up and timing marks will be in the right spot too.

Doug