Sign in to follow this  
69StangRestomod

dang bugs!

yellow jackets ran me away from my car today :/ since all I have is a shell they keep coming and starting nest in the nooks and crannies, when I find them in the morning/afternoon its useless to try and kill em, cause the scavengers come and go from the nest all day...so Im dead in the water til dark and can kill all those suckers!

anyone have this problem? any advice on how to keep them at bay? I thought about putting moth balls in jars all around my car and seeing if that would keep them away.

What worked for me was to cover the area with a clear drop sheet, and put bricks to hold down the ends. I sprayed bug killer inside, and they would basically suffocate. Leave it there for a weeek, and they should all be dead. Becareful of the wasps coimg back to the nest and who want to get to the nest, which is not available to them because of the plastic. I just sprayed them as they arrived and that got rid of them. I hope this helps.

our local farm co op has an item that you hang up - repels flying insects. No clue what its called, but dad uses them in his garage and no wasps, bees, yellow jackets or flys make a home there. they fly in but leave quickly. looks like yellow jelly in a white hook frame.

our local farm co op has an item that you hang up - repels flying insects. No clue what its called, but dad uses them in his garage and no wasps, bees, yellow jackets or flys make a home there. they fly in but leave quickly. looks like yellow jelly in a white hook frame.

would like to know what this stuff is..... :gun_bandana::2guns:

I don't know what part of the country you're in (I'm in Northern Cali), but what works out here is yellow-jacket prevention. We hang those yellow cylindrical traps (the ones with the cotton ball soaked with the smelly crap the insects love) very early in the season (like around Feb) in strategic places.

The theory is that the queens come out of hibernation first and get caught in the trap early. This obviously eliminates a crapload of future wasps. This has worked for us for about 10 years now. We had a spring/summer about 11 years ago that was just awful: yellow jackets everywhere. This process has settled their hash.

I realize you're already over-run, but this might help you for next time.

tom