Sign in to follow this  
dave69vert

power steering question?

I'm working on my 69 and I'm having trouble with the P/S control valve to pitman arm stud. I measured the tappered stud and the pitman arm hole, the stud is larger than the hole by just enough that you cant use a cotter pin to lock the stud in place. I checked the casting on the pitman arm and the numbers are correct for a 69 P/S arm with a 1 1/8" shaft. I have looked in CJ'S pony parts catalog and found they make only one size ball stud for 64-70 control valves. Anyone out there ever seen or heard of this problem.:surrender::hang:

I just found a 65 control valve and my pitman slide all the way down the stud with no problems. I got this one on my 69 rebuilt on ebay, now I know why it doesn't fit. I thought I was loosing my mind. I guess they do make 2 differant type of studs then. I guess I'll have to get a new stud kit from cj's and try that. I really don't want to redrill or grind that arm. Thanks Mach1Rider for getting back to me.

YES!! I have the same problem and since my car is not on the road yet I haven't gotten around to figuring out a solution. I bought a new control valve late last summer and the castle nut will not run down far enough to install the cotter pin. I know I have the right pitman arm so I am baffled as well.

I did find a reamer just for enlarging the tapered hole in a pitman arm, but I have not yet bought it to make the fix. I too thought I was going nuts. Maybe someone will chime in with some answers. Bruce

I called CJpony parts and ordered a rebuild kit for it. I didn't want to modify the hole, cause if the control valve goes bad and I have to get another one it might be the right size and then I would have slop in the steering. We all might of purchased from the same guy on ebay. The studs might be from china. I hope this helps you.

Do you have the measurements off of your original stud at the top and bottom? I may have to do the same thing and buy a stud kit. A real bummer for a part that was supposed to be brand new to begin with. Bruce

Give me to the weekend to get back to you. I just recieved the rebuild kit from CJ's today. I'm shot from workin. I have 3 differant ones to measure now. One from a 65 (I think) the one thats wrong and the one from CJ's. The 65 fit perfect, I hope CJ's does too.

Ok, I have it apart. Just looking at them both you can see they are differant. The correct on goes from .575 to .625 inches on my micrometer. The wrong one goes from .600 to .650 on the meter. The correct one's shaft tapers then goes straight, while the incorrect one tapers to .650 the tapers back smaller then .600 . The ball socket looks the same, and it wouldn't even matter do to it has it own matching seat. I found an excellent exploded view of it broken down in steps on ( stangersSite.com). This will help you take it apart and put it back together the right way. I'm still crossing my fingers that I rebuilt it correctly. Take your time and be careful not to damage any parts. I hope this helps you.

Dave