Sign in to follow this  
69StangRestomod

rear end brand..Im lost!

OK so I have a 9 inch I stole from a guy (not literally,...he didnt know what he had...), and I'm planning on doing all the setup myself, nothin a 6 pack and damnit fit wont do, my problem is I cant figure out what brand to go with!

Currie

Eaton

Strange

are they all equal? Ive decided on a detroit tru trac carrier, still working on the gear ratio, and I'd like 31 spline, but I think 28 will be fine if need be.

is there a significant difference among these guys?? Im toying with the idea just buying an assembled 3rd member, theres a few floating on eBay for 800ish, but Im very very wary of no name brands....

what I would really like is someplace to have a kit that comes with carrier, bearings, gears, and axles but I suppose that it waaay too much to ask LOL

any input is treasured. thanks!

OK so I have a 9 inch I stole from a guy (not literally,...he didnt know what he had...), and I'm planning on doing all the setup myself, nothin a 6 pack and damnit fit wont do, my problem is I cant figure out what brand to go with!

Currie

Eaton

Strange

are they all equal? Ive decided on a detroit tru trac carrier, still working on the gear ratio, and I'd like 31 spline, but I think 28 will be fine if need be.

is there a significant difference among these guys?? Im toying with the idea just buying an assembled 3rd member, theres a few floating on eBay for 800ish, but Im very very wary of no name brands....

what I would really like is someplace to have a kit that comes with carrier, bearings, gears, and axles but I suppose that it waaay too much to ask LOL

any input is treasured. thanks!

I've got the Strange S/S 31 spline axles and a Strange S-Series TruTrac, 3.70 pumpkin. I got it complete from TCP when I ordered my rear suspension. Came complete, except the axle bearings had to be pressed on. No biggie. It's nice stuff, and works well on street and race track. Haven't tried any heavy dragracing yet, just on the street with street tires. Only thing is, the gears make a wee bit of noise, my rear 8" did not. My DD '89 Mercedes 300SE has more noise from its rear end. But that is a known problem among those cars.

I've got the Strange S/S 31 spline axles and a Strange S-Series TruTrac, 3.70 pumpkin. I got it complete from TCP when I ordered my rear suspension. Came complete, except the axle bearings had to be pressed on. No biggie. It's nice stuff, and works well on street and race track. Haven't tried any heavy dragracing yet, just on the street with street tires. Only thing is, the gears make a wee bit of noise, my rear 8" did not. My DD '89 Mercedes 300SE has more noise from its rear end. But that is a known problem among those cars.

All three are great brands. Just find the one with the features your are looking for at a price you can a ford. How much horse power you are pushing will also be a factor. 31 splines are stronger than 28. Then again 35 splines are stronger than 31. You could drive yourself crazy with all the combinations. Bruce

All three are great brands. Just find the one with the features your are looking for at a price you can a ford. How much horse power you are pushing will also be a factor. 31 splines are stronger than 28. Then again 35 splines are stronger than 31. You could drive yourself crazy with all the combinations. Bruce

Well if you have a 9" and it's a posi why not just rebuild it and put gears on it that you want and save a ton of cash.....that would be the most easy and cost effective, then take the money you save and buy. Some after,market. Axles in 28 or 31 spline and you will be good to go.... The aftermarket axles are pretty cheep and stronger than the originals....plus they don't have 30 years of abuse on em.

Mike

Well if you have a 9" and it's a posi why not just rebuild it and put gears on it that you want and save a ton of cash.....that would be the most easy and cost effective, then take the money you save and buy. Some after,market. Axles in 28 or 31 spline and you will be good to go.... The aftermarket axles are pretty cheep and stronger than the originals....plus they don't have 30 years of abuse on em.

Mike