Sign in to follow this  
JOEMACH

lost registration

Ok, I've got a 1969 Mustang that I've been putting together. I bought it about 8 years ago as a shell with nothing but a bill of sale. This car has been a passed around as a project for years but now I'm close to putting a motor in it and getting it roadworthy. Does anyone know a company that can get me a new registration. I looked at broadway title company and titles unlimited but their new policy is NO project cars, it needs to be inspected and insured before they will even consider processing my paperwork.

I live in New York, bought the car in New Jersey but I don't even know if that is where the car originated from.

Any ideas? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Ok, I've got a 1969 Mustang that I've been putting together. I bought it about 8 years ago as a shell with nothing but a bill of sale. This car has been a passed around as a project for years but now I'm close to putting a motor in it and getting it roadworthy. Does anyone know a company that can get me a new registration. I looked at broadway title company and titles unlimited but their new policy is NO project cars, it needs to be inspected and insured before they will even consider processing my paperwork.

I live in New York, bought the car in New Jersey but I don't even know if that is where the car originated from.

I went through something similar here in Canada, but I believe that your registration policies are quite different in the States. Here is a link to my thread anyways;

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=3572

If I were you, I would work backwards, and contact as many previous owners that you can, and get letters or old bills of sale to show the history and transfer of ownership. I did this with mine, all the way back to the original owner, who was an 80 years old lady. She was quite interested in knowing where the car is now. With the Internet available to us, it makes it easier to find people.

I was able to show a complete history, I was then able to register my car, and the registration was held for a year awaiting anyone contesting the ownership. It is now clear and away I go.

You may need to contact your motor vehicle registration to see what process they have. The fear is that the car was stolen a long time ago, but the other advantage is, that motor vehicle registrations were not automated until the late 80`s, so there maybe a good chance that there is no record of the car anywhere.

I hope that this helps, wordy as it is...

Bill from Canada

I went through something similar here in Canada, but I believe that your registration policies are quite different in the States. Here is a link to my thread anyways;

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=3572

If I were you, I would work backwards, and contact as many previous owners that you can, and get letters or old bills of sale to show the history and transfer of ownership. I did this with mine, all the way back to the original owner, who was an 80 years old lady. She was quite interested in knowing where the car is now. With the Internet available to us, it makes it easier to find people.

I was able to show a complete history, I was then able to register my car, and the registration was held for a year awaiting anyone contesting the ownership. It is now clear and away I go.

You may need to contact your motor vehicle registration to see what process they have. The fear is that the car was stolen a long time ago, but the other advantage is, that motor vehicle registrations were not automated until the late 80`s, so there maybe a good chance that there is no record of the car anywhere.

I hope that this helps, wordy as it is...

Bill from Canada

In the past, in New York the registration slip WAS the title (no separate title). I don't think that they do that for newer cars anymore, however. Do you have an old registration card? That and your bill of sale may be enough.

If you bought the car in NJ & it was never registered in NY, you can get a copy of the title from Trenton, but ownership probably didn't pass from the old owner to you. I hope that the PO is still around since you will need to have them sign the back of the re-issued title. Otherwise, a vist to the wonderful NJDMV is in order. I'd straighten it all out before sinking anymore cash into this project!

Edited by NJ_Bob

In the past, in New York the registration slip WAS the title (no separate title). I don't think that they do that for newer cars anymore, however. Do you have an old registration card? That and your bill of sale may be enough.

If you bought the car in NJ & it was never registered in NY, you can get a copy of the title from Trenton, but ownership probably didn't pass from the old owner to you. I hope that the PO is still around since you will need to have them sign the back of the re-issued title. Otherwise, a vist to the wonderful NJDMV is in order. I'd straighten it all out before sinking anymore cash into this project!

Edited by NJ_Bob

I would not put another dime into that car until you have a title in your name. When I bought my car the first thing I did was title it in my name. Because I didn't want to lose any money if I was not able to title it or it turned out to be stolen sometime in it's past.

I would not put another dime into that car until you have a title in your name. When I bought my car the first thing I did was title it in my name. Because I didn't want to lose any money if I was not able to title it or it turned out to be stolen sometime in it's past.