Sign in to follow this  
CarZombie

Turn Signal/Electrical Problems Part 2

I have been having turn signal/electrical problems and posted on them here: http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=9185

Thanks to the suggestions made in the original post I have solved most of the problems. See below for full details. The two problems I have now are these:

1. I have no emergency or 4 way flashers. Today, the emergency flashers would work for a while and then stop. Then they would start again. There was no rhyme or reason for why they would start and stop. I think the most I ran them was 5 minutes and they did not stop until I stop them. Then they would not work again. I am loosing power on the hot side of the flasher, i.e., the hot wire goes cold. I have power at the fuse box, so it is not the fuse or the fuse box. When I look at the wire diagrams, it appears the hot wire should run straight from the fuse box to the hot side of the emergency flasher. I am talking about the actual flasher not the switch. When I have power, everything works. Before I have to take the dash apart to trace the hot wire, any suggestions?

2. The driver side (LH) turn signal/running light located below the front bumper will signal a turn fine, if no headlights are on. Turn on the headlights/running lights and the turn signal still works, but it is very dim. Turn the headlights/running lights off and the turn signal is as bright as the other side. Suggestions on what could cause this?

If I can get these two problems worked out, I can start driving the car again. I am not too worried about the emergency flasher, but the dim front driver side turn signal with headlights is a real puzzle for me.

And if you’re interested, here is what I found and how I solved the problems in the original post. It appears I lost the turn signals because of a bad connection in the connector holding the flasher. I was probing the hot side of the turn signal connector and suddenly got a good current flow. I wiggled the wire and it came and went. I pushed the wire hard and heard a click. After that I had a good hot wire and the turn signal started working.

I found the brake light/turn signal wire for the passenger side rear had pulled out of the turn signal wire harness connector; again a good push on the wire and my passenger side brake light/turn signal was working again.

I really appreciate all the help on the original post and the help I am sure I will get on this post.

The only connection between your front running lights and head lights is the ground wire. There is a ground on the headlight that connects to the ground on the running/turn light. I will bet the place this gound wire connects to the chassis is rusted or something.

One way to test this is to take a good, heavy wire, like a number 14, and connect one end of it to the minus terminal of the battery. Turn on the lights so the dim problem is happening, and insert this gound wire into the back of the connector on the headlight that the ground pin is. This will be bypassing the ground connection through the chassis. If the lights are fully bright when you do this, you have a ground problem.