Sign in to follow this  
pw520a

rim blow horn switch

I am in the process of installing a new rim blow horn switch I have the old one out but I am having a hard time getting the hardend glue out underneath, any ideas? The wheel is in good shape no cracks but some of the woodgrain has rubbed off, what is the process for restoring the wood grain texture. Thanks Gary

My replacement rim blow switch came with a gapping tool (made of spring steel) that acted like a scraper. This tool ensures that there is a uniform width to the groove that accepts the switch. The process of running this gapping tool around the wheel was very effective at removing any adhesive or other debris within the groove.

I'm almost hesitant to suggest this, but you might also want to try some sort of solvent (i.e. lacquer thinner, acetone) to soften up the old glue. But be sure test it first on an small insonspicuous area to make sure it doesn't melt the plastic of the wheel.

I'll leave it to someone else to answer your question about restoring the woodgrain texture. Uncharted territory for me.

Regards,

T.

I had the same problem, it took time and effort to get it done. I used a chisel, hammer and flat screw driver the width of the switch groove. Start off with 1/4 inch victories at a time, be very careful and take your time. you have to get the sides of the groove clean or cleaner than the bottom of the groove. It's not easy but you can do it. When installing the switch there were parts that went in very easy and other parts that were very painful, I actually tore the skin away from the bottom of my fingernails and had to wait until they healed to finish the job. One thing that helped me a lot with the really difficult areas was the stainless steel tag off of a rear end, it's rigid, rounded on one end and thin enough to use it to push the switch in the groove. Good luck.