Sign in to follow this  
ruger1

Should I expect to replace torque boxes?

I've been acquiring parts slowly as money will allow. I have the complete floor pan and firewall already. My question is, even though the torque boxes look okay, should I, or do I need to replace them while I'm replacing the floor and firewall? I haven't started to cut things apart yet because I want to have all the parts I need ready at hand. The rear torque boxes are good but I was told I will have to replace the tops anyway. Also what other parts should I plan to have on hand when I start?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

You'll need to decide that really. You surely wont ever be in there again, so judge how they look. Most everyone here that has done them will highly recommend the multi piece Dynacorn set if needed. In general, if the floor supports look good from the inside after removing the floor the torque boxes are ok. Good time to coat the inside of the front frame rails and floor supports too! I will say that I have done a complete floor in less time than one complete torque box though.

why buy the metal now? it's reproduction. you can place a call and have it on your steps in two days.

it would be a waste to buy something and not end up needing it. it can become expensive to ship it back and in some cases they may not take it back if you wait too long.

if you know you have to replace the item the certainly have it in hand before you really start cutting. that way you can be sure what you can cut and also you have a reference to what it looked like originally.

Thanks FRH & Buckeye. Both of my front boxes are good. I just have never done this much metal work with replacement parts and didn't know if I'll be destoying anything else as I replace the firewall and floor when I cut them out. The frame rails and cross rail look in very good shape also. In the grand scheme of things, the metal is rather cheap (even the best metal) as opposed to the hours of fabricating like we used to do years ago. I guess I'll wait and see when it's apart. Thanks again.

Why are you replacing your firewall? Does it look like this?

IMG_5395.jpg

While the torque box looked ok from below the car, the top of it was totally rusted away along with the firewall. There was a crappy patch over this hiding it from view. Be aware there are lot so nooks an crannies where rust can hide and you'll never see it until you start taking things apart. That's how I found out the frame crossmember under the radiator core support on my car was rusted. It looked fine, but as soon as I started to remove the fender apron, the crossmember started to crumble. I'll second the opinion on the Dynacorn 2 piece torque boxes being really good. I put them in my car.

The firewall only has a small amount of rust above the drivers floor. Plus I'll be replacing the fender aprons due to tear out of the hinge area. I really want this to turn out well. And with my past experience of body work (20 years ago), the new parts availible and above all, the wealth of knowledge found here, there's no reason to do it half way.

The best group of car guys around!

well, my floor looked nicer than that when I started and I ended up buying drivers half floor, drivers floor support, toe board and the drivers torque box. Other than that piece of floor which looked like a seive after sandblasting the rest was solid metal but there was enough surface rust that I didnt feel sandblasting was sufficient and now's the time, so I took it all out.

With some fab experience you'll know how to decide once you cut into it. I bet you end up replacing the floor support while you're in there at least. btw, the Dynacorn floor support is much heavier then others I have seen, the back folds are shaped properly and it comes with the proper oval hole and bracket for the ebrake cable. Only available in pairs last I knew though but worth it in my eyes. Others can chime in on this part as well.

good luck and post progress photos

Your floor and firewall extensions don't look all that bad really. Why are you replacing them? I only see the one hole on he driver's side.

Concerning the torque boxes, from what I've seen, they were put in as bare metal... no paint. So, if they aren't rusted now, I bet they will be eventually if they ever see any damp weather.