Sign in to follow this  
Jayru

Look what supprised me last night! (need tire recommendations)

Hadn't heard from PS Engineering in a few weeks and had no idea they were going to show up till they were on my porch last night!

Pretty Sweet!

So what tires do you recommend?

At some point I'd like to get more serious into road racing, but for now it'll be primarily street driven with some road racing on the weekends come spring.

I need a 245x45-17 in the front (8") and a 275x40-17 in the rear (9.5")

Trying to see what they have locally so i can get mounting factored into the price and not have to pay for shipping. But I'm looking for the best tire for the money (as cheap as i can go without sacrificing too much performance). I know the two don't go together, but work's been slow and I'm trying to save some cash for now (since i spent so much for the rims back when i was on a steady job).

A local place is recommending sumitomo tires - htr p01's

I saw some reviews and they say they are close to the Nitto 555's performance wise.

They also have Pirelli's or Falkens, but the reviews seem to say the Falkens are not that great.

Thoughts?

Are those Vintage 48s? I'm thinking of getting those as well. Post up pictures when you get them mounted.

Do some research on Tirerack with the local tires to help make your decision.

Nope. They're PS engineering wheels:

http://www.psvintagewheels.com/products.html

They are almost exact copy's of the 60's Trans Am wheel but in 17" - The TA-II wheels on the site. PS Eng made the original wheels for Elanor in Gone in 60 sec remake movie.

The V48's are a bit similar, but have a straight spoke and different style center hub. I looked at them, but preferred the PS wheels.

Tirerack's got a great review on the Sumitomo's! But still interested in hearing people's thoughts.

BFG baby!

[ATTACH]7655[/ATTACH]

In my humble opinion .. there is not a better looking tire on the market. Not the cheapest but it's not going to be too much more than anything else.

Are you saying they're just good looking, or they preform well? I'm looking for a good tire that preforms well on the street/track.

There are a few types of BFG's on the market, which ones do you run?

P225/70R16 SBR BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A tires came on my new 2001 Hyundai Sante Fe. Got 102,000 miles on these tires, and still had 3/32ds when I bought new Kumho tires. The BFG wore great, and low tire noise or howl. Good traction in mud and snow. I love the Kumho tires too. Same characteristics as the BFGs.

There are a ton of high performance summer tires out there that come in that combination of sizes. I have the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 and love them (in 255 40 18 on the front and 285 35 18 on the rear). Here are some to consider:

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3

Continental ExtremeContact DW

Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport

BF Goodrich g-Force Sport or g-Force T/A KDW

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

Kumho Ecsta SPT or Ecsta XS

Nitto NT555

Nexen N3000

Riken Rapto ZR

Fuzion ZRi

General Exclaim UHP

Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500

I really like my Goodyear F1 GS-D3, but they're pricey. I've heard good things about the Michelins (and they're a little cheaper). My third choice would be the Continental ExtremeContact (had them on another car and liked them) and then tied for 4th would be the Bridgestones and the BF Goodrich tires. I've had them both (the Potenza and the T/A) and liked them, but not quite as much as the Goodyear or the Contis. The rest, I'm not too familiar with and would steer clear of unless you know someone who has them on a similar car (classic muscle car) in a similar size (width and aspect ratio) that really likes them (and knows what they're talking about).

Hope that helps.

Thanks Paul!

Here's a question though. I do drive my car in the fall and spring (and even in the winter sometimes when there's no salt on the roads).

Do i need to go with all season tires? As the summer tires state from all the manufacturers they shouldn't be driven in colder weather as it severely affects the grip of the tires.

Are you guys running summer tires in the colder months?

Thanks Paul!

Here's a question though. I do drive my car in the fall and spring (and even in the winter sometimes when there's no salt on the roads).

Do i need to go with all season tires? As the summer tires state from all the manufacturers they shouldn't be driven in colder weather as it severely affects the grip of the tires.

Are you guys running summer tires in the colder months?

Oh, well in that case I would look for an "Ultra High Performance" all season tire. In temps below freezing the rubber compound of summer tires will become too hard and you will have poor traction (even in dry conditions and forget about rain or any sleet/snow as they would be dangerous). So, if you plan on driving it in temps below about 45 then you can ignore my suggestions above and consider these (in the order of my preference):

1) Continental ExtremeContact DWS (the difference is the "S" at the end for snow. my son has them on his car and they perform really well and grip almost as good as the summer DW tires)

2) Michelin Pilot Sport AS Plus (heard good things about them but a little pricey)

3) BF Goodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S (not familiar with them but havent' heard anything bad about them)

4) Pirelli Pzero Nero All Season (heard mixed reviews)

5) Kuhmo Ecsta ASX (don't know anything about them)

6) Uniroyal Tiger Paw GTZ (no clue)

Hope that helps.

I agree with Paul about getting the high performance all season if you are going to drive your car at all in the winter.

I bought those Pirelli Pzero Nero All Season just after they were released about 5 years ago for my Bullitt as it was my daily driver at the time. But I would not buy them again. The dry performance was great, but I was disapointed in the wet performance and the winter performance was terrible! I didn't expect a snow tire, but I had no grip at all.