Sign in to follow this  
10851CVC

one day...one day

Keep after it. I remember bringing mine home. Most of the car came home int he back of my pickup. One month later I had everything from the firewall forward cut off along with the floorpan. I was scared to death. I had never done any kind of bodywork before. A year later I was driving the car around. I went through some other issues with the car before I was able to drive it.

Not trying to toot my own horn here, but to give you some inspiration here's what I went through. This what it looked liked for me and where I am at the moment. I still have the rear quarters to replace, trunk floor and I need to do the interior. But whenever I realize I've been at it for almost 2 years I just look at these pictures and know that I've come a long ways. You will too. So hang in there.

December 2008 when I brought it home.

IMG_5383a_detail.jpg

IMG_5396a_detail.jpg

January 2009

IMG_5507_detail.JPG

March 2009

IMG_5616_detail.JPG

IMG_5510a_detail.jpg

What it looks like today

IMAG0017.jpg

Edited by maxum96

Yeah, I know the feeling. I'm collecting parts as I go and it seems like forever with LIFE going on and the car collecting dust. I just keep looking on this forum for inspiration to keep a positive attitude. You won't find a better bunch of people than those here on this forum. I just picked up my floor pan @ CJ Pony Parts this weekend and they sent me the new firewall and seat riser yesterday. It's pay as I go and I won't start at it again till all the parts are here.

Keep the faith and good luck!

Dan

Ruger1 took the words out of my mouth....I look outside and see snow on the ground and all I can do is have hope that someday this build will be complete. In the meantime, I am collecting and cleaning parts in preparation of putting this massive puzzle of a car together someday....I have heard that it is the journey that is the joy, not necessarily the destination, so that may help you enjoy your experience better....

Bill from Ottawa, Canada

-2 degrees celcius with light snow

I'm empathetic... it'll be 10 years come January that my Mach has been "in restoration" and still isn't done. In fact, next to no progress has been made since 2007 actually. From 2001-2006 we got the car torn down, completed all the body work, got the car painted, got the suspension rebuilt, got the motor back in, got the car wired, etc., and then nothing. The car was in Tampa, I was in grad school in Seattle, I had a kid in 2004, my father, who was the primary worker on the car, got cancer in '06 (now in remission), then I had another kid in 2007, so everything just sorta ground to a halt on the Mach. And to tide me over I bought my XR4Ti, which just made it easier to put off finishing the Mach.

But now, almost 4 years later, I'm living an hour away from the car, so I'm hopeful we can get it finished for the 10th anniversary of its resto. But ya know, I still can't seem to find much time to get to my parents' place to work on it. Work, dissertation, family, health, life, etc... it all interferes, but I just keep the fire lit by going to shows, visiting forums, and gawking at it occasionally when we bring the kids to grandma & pop's to visit (which ain't often enough). But I know it will get done... it will get done.