Sign in to follow this  
klc

How-to Fuel Tubing Replacement

Experienced advice wanted--

I need to replace the mickey mouse fuel line that someone replaced the old hard tube with (its almost all rubber hose under the car).

Can anyone tell me where the original hard tube fuel line went under the car?

I'm wondering if this is something I can replace in my garage or does it need to be on a lift? I'm thinking if I have to snake it through the frame I won't be able to do this in my garage.

Thanks!

Its actually two long hard lines. The first part begins by fuel sending unit and runs up along the drivers side. It ends about a foot or two after the rear wheel well. Then the second line begins and runs up past the bottom of the shock tower where it enters the engine bay through a hole. The two pieces are joined by a 2" piece of fuel hose. This is all on the outside of the frame and you should be able to replace it in your garage. Sorry for the bad description. Its late and I just wanted to give you a basic idea.

Angel's description is spot on. I am responding only because I had to do this same thing in my garage on my GT coupe. I can offer a few random thoughts:

If you buy new fuel lines, they come in 2 pieces (as Angel already said). The rear piece needs to be "unbent" as they bend it to fit in the carton. Be careful with this process so you don't destroy it.

Be prepared to make little adjustments to the tubing. I bought a tubing bender, but wound up just using my hands.

You'll need sections of rubber fuel hose to connect the rear line to the tank sending unit, to connect the rear and front pieces of tubing under the driver's side frame (right behind the wheel well), to connect to your fuel pump, etc.

I had my old fuel lines to use a guide, so you may need additional info on how to route the lines along the frame, where to connect to the body, etc. I'd be happy to take some pictures for you...just let me know.

It's a couple of hour job for sure and it was helpful for me to have the car as high up as I could get it on 4 jack stands.

Good luck!

Tom

Thanks for the response! That's pretty much what I needed to know. I just didn't want to get started and then find out there was a secret passage that i needed to angle the tube in at or something like that.

Any photos you might be able to post that would not be toomuch of a pain in the butt to get would be appreciated.

I think I will go for the 3/8", just in case I stuff that stroked 460 in that I've been thinking about....thanks again!