Sign in to follow this  
Kfisher92

69 Mustang 302, Exhaust???

going to redo the exhaust in my 1969 mustang 302 V8, what should i go with? Ive heard many different things, some say do strait pipes, others say to use flowmasters, magnaflows, or even cherry bomb.

I was wondering what you guys think would be the best? i'm new to the form looking to get some great info.

thanks!

The engine has been rebuilt but is still orignial no modifications have been made aside from a 4 barrel carb and new intake manifold but the engine has maintained a stock spec sheet. i am looking for a good loud sound while keeping the back pressure good.

Edited by Kfisher92

It's really going to depend a lot on personal preference. Ask 10 poeple which mufflers sound the best, and get 7 different answers.

Very true. But I will say this, stay away from glasspacks. They're cheap for a reason. They sound like sh*t and the fiberglass packing will start to blow out before long. And straight pipes is a great way to rack up muffler tickets.

Edited by maxum96

The engine has been rebuilt but is still orignial no modifications have been made aside from a 4 barrel carb and new intake manifold but the engine has maintained a stock spec sheet. i am looking for a good loud sound while keeping the back pressure good.

Keeping the backpressure good? We wont get into that too much but it is a misnomer. You dont want backpressure. I would recommend headers, an X pipe for scavenging effects and Flowmasters or Hooker Super Comps. 2-1/2" pipe.

You really haven't stated your budget or your goals for the car ultimately, which might help with getting recommendations. For example, if the current 302 is a place-holder until you can afford a stroker, 351, or a big block, then I'd make a very different recommendation than if it was your plan to keep the current 302 as long as possible. Also, it'd help to know how you plan to use the car, like if it's a daily driver, a weekend cruiser, an road course warrior, or a hardcore drag machine, so we can know if ground clearance is a primary concern, etc. My thought is that if you plan ahead, you can actually do an exhaust that will work for your current setup but set it up so that it will also fit your future goals as well.

In any case, I'm going to assume your on a budget, the current 302 is in for the foreseeable future, you plan to drive your car on the street, and you want a meaty sound. In that case, I'd recommend a set of shorty headers (for ground clearance), an H-pipe (instead of an X-pipe), 2.5" duals out through a good set of chambered mufflers (for the big sound you want), exiting just past the rear valence. An X-pipe will reduce the "presence" and change the tone of the exhaust, and turn downs will reduce it's "presence" as well.

BTW...

Very true. But I will say this, stay away from glasspacks. They're cheap for a reason. They sound like sh*t and the fiberglass packing will start to blow out before long.

Actually, I kinda disagree. Glasspacks have a very traditional sound, but it is not comparable to modern tuned mufflers from the likes of Borla, Magnaflow, or even Flowbasterds. And IMHO, they actually start to sound better as the packing blows out. The real trick about glasspacks is to run as long a tube as you can. The short ones act more as resonators than mufflers.

Hope this helps.

wow thank you guys for all the great replies, yes DarkBuddha, you were exactly right my 302 needs to last me and i will be driving the car on the street and such, so i think i will end up going with an H-pipe along with some flowmaster 40 series. But do you really think i need 2.5" pipes? Ive been told that i should use 2" pipes what is your opinion, i always thought that if i made them slightly larger their would be better flow so? any advice is good ha thanks again everyone and i have to say i have a 26 inch glasspack on my 95 f-150(302) and it sounds pretty good.