Sign in to follow this  
69mustang351W

Much moisture under carpet

Today I was looking after the remote control for the cd-player in my mustang. Then I discovered som thin white foam of a kind on upper surface on the floor carpet. Then i pull the carpet up and It was very wet under. This is on the passenger side. It was also much rust on the floor. Could it be leakage from the cooling or heating system?

"To replace the cowl, do I also have to remove the fenders?" was originally my next question, but I guess its not necessary. In threads about removing the cowl, the fenders wasnt mentioned . Never removed the cowl or heater core earlier, so this winter i will learn something new. It is a draining hole (not hose) in the floor, but it may be partially sealed by the rust/wet sound isolation material.

There should be a rubber hose at the bottom left side of the heater box going down thru the floor. If it is not there it could be why the carpet is getting wet.

To inspect the cowl area, remove the vent cover in front of the window just behind the hood. it covers the wiper motor and mech, with this off it will allow you to check the cowls condition.

The hose on the left side of the heater box thru the floor is there.

One simple question: Water which goes thru the holes in the grillecover over the cowl, where is that water going, if the cowl is good, not rusted? Is it a draining system?

The hose on the left side of the heater box thru the floor is there.

One simple question: Water which goes thru the holes in the grille cover over the cowl, where is that water going, if the cowl is good, not rusted? Is it a draining system?

It rolls off the ends of the cowl behind your fenders and onto the ground. If your cowls are solid that's the idea anyway. If your cowls are rusted, which isn't that common on 69/70's, it will run down on top of your heater A/C box and from there it will drip onto your carpet and floor pan. Bruce

One easy way to see if its the cowl is to climb under the dash with ta flash light and have your buddies take a 5 gallon bucket of water and pour it down through the cowl vent outside....dont just dump the bucket as fast as you can but slowly and steadily pour it down....In the mean time you are inspecting under the dash for water that may or may not be pouring in..........IF you have to replace the COWL, Yes the fenders do have to come out, along with the windshield, dash pad and all the other fun stuff that goes with it.....I recently did mine, after i bought the car and knoticed a few slight drips....upon tearing the dash out i found it to be in decent shape but the rust was working on it pretty good, so i decided to replace it......The main side it seems they rust on is the pass side, this is where the fresh air duct is at and leaves and crap collect around it over the years, and this leads to rust, the driver side does not have a fresh air duct hole so it is far less likley to have stuff collected in it....Also the dog house areas behind the fenders get plugged with leaves and stuff and this can cause water to stand in those areas as well, leading to rust....I hav detailed pictures of my replacement, but its not something for the faint of heart to attempt to do in my opinion.....

Mike