Sign in to follow this  
Dangstang

Need some help with a electrical problem

:helpsmilie:I bought a 69 Mach with a 351W and looks like I got issues already.The lights were not working so I left the key on while I checked things out, and smoke started rolling out of the engine bay.:scared:Crap! Turns out that somebody with as much experiance with electrical as me wired the coil with a jumper wire to the ignition .This led to the wire overheating to the coil then out of the coil to the dist hence the smoke.Does anyone know the correct way to wire this thing so I can get it out of my companys shop before my boss blows a gasket.The car has a factory tach which is part of the coil run wire from what I gather.If someone has a easy to read wire diagram I would appreciate it.Even a quick fix so I can get it home would be great.

Even if you go thru pink resistor wire its hot when igntion is on and you will overheat your coil if car is not is not running. Done it a couple times.

Pink resistor wire can go out or someone may have upgraded distrib or coil to 12v and that could be why they jumped to ignition.

Did the car run before this w/o overheating coil. If so put a new coil in and don't leave ignition on without car running.

Also I'm assuming the factory tach does not work though. Jmlay is right about the tach and pink wire.

Another reason someone may have bypassed the pink wire is that if the tach goes out it keep power from going to coil.

Do some searches on this site - I had posted some of the issues I had when trying to get my tack to work w/o going thru resistor - finally got it to work.

Also check out tachman website I got a wiring diagram for 69/70 off of there. good luck.

Just to get the car a short way up the road hot wire it temporarily.

Run a wire from the + battery to the + coil. This will not do any harm.

Get the car out of there and than disconnect it.

You may have a starting issue though.

The reason the wires got hot was when the key was on is because the points were also closed so current was constantly running through the coil. The coil would have got real hot.

Therefore I suspect the points may also be burnt. If so give them a quick file to get you on the road.