Sign in to follow this  
Black_69_FB

Bad headlight switch?

Got the gauge cluster back in after installing new LEDs & printed circuit. All gauges work! Instrument lights are MUCH brighter with the LEDs :)

However, the dash lights go out when I pull the headlights on. Works fine with the parking lamps only, although I do have to wiggle the knob a bit sometimes to get them working. Any idea what it could be if not the switch?

That may not be the entire problem but it sounds like the wiper that rubs the rheostat is worn and moving it makes it touch the rheostat completing the circuit momentarily. If it is an original switch replace it and eliminate it as a possibility. 40 years is longenough for a switch.

JAG

I pulled the switch last night. Took the rheostat out, cleaned all the contact points, reassembled with a little dielectric grease. Reinstalled it, no change. So I ordered a new switch. Amazon.com had Motorcraft brand for less than $30.

I just googled the part # and followed the bread crumbs...

It was a Motorcraft switch. Or at least it came in a Motorcraft box :-)

The ones from CJPony and the like come in a Motorcraft box too. Sounds like your dash lights were tripping into the courtesy circuit.