Sign in to follow this  
Print Dad

Map LIght blowing interior fuse

Hello All,

Another post that is not a real serious issue but it is important to me.

In my other post, I mentioned I was blowing interior fuses.

I installed new door pin switches and drove the car. No trouble - - then as the car was parked - - the fuse blew.

I pulled the dash and was working on the map light. It is acting very ODD.

Sometimes it turn on - -other times it would not.

I used my trusty little pen light (screwdriver with ground wire.

What appears to be happening is the bulb is not making a good connection inside the socket. I pushed the little tabs up through the socket and cleaned them. It almost seems as though there may be a piece missing.

Please bear with me. Inside the socket - -there are the 2 wire ends with like brass tips. Under this is a spring to hold the tip up against the bottom of the bulb.

What seems to be missing is perhapd a plate or something to keep the 2 little tips from hitting each other. I noticed when I touched the 2 together the fuse blew right away.

I know this is stupid and simple but could someone tell me if there is supposed to be a "plate" at the bottom of the socket.

The next part of my question is - - can I get just a new socket? It take a 1004 bulb. Not sure where to start the search for one. Could I just use another socket from with similar size?

I know this is not a real important thread but I would love to fix the recently installed map light for my wife.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and offer ideas to an old nut.

Print Dad

Hey Jim, it sure sounds like you've found the source of your blown fuses! Great! Based on what you've described, I'd say the socket is just plain worn out and should be replaced. I'm pretty sure the map light assembly is a high dollar item but you should be able to just swap out the socket with a new one w/out compromising the period-correctness. As long as the socket fits in the housing, you're good to go.

I'd like to think you could find a replacement socket easy enough (though I don't have a clue). Just use butt connectors and some shrink tubing to wire the new socket back in line if you have to make cuts.

I don't think it'd be worth trying to repair the socket, IMHO, and I'm sure one of the fellas would be able to direct you to a replacement.

Finally, I wouldn't ever concern yourself with the relative importance of your questions. If it's on your mind, it's important!

Your pal,

Tom

Hello Tom,

Thanks for the kind words. Well I disconnected the map light

after messing with it. I was sure this was the problem.

I drove the car and sure enough blew another fuse. I was not happy.

I went to our Monday Cruise spot and right there we pulled the pass door panel.

Sure enough there was a frayed wire inside the door.

Will fix it in the morning.

I bought a socket for the map light but when I got home realized it is the right size

but won't take the 1004 bulb. This socket has the little pins high and low on the base of the bulb as opposed to the 1004 which has 2 level pins on the side of the base of the bulb.

So I need to look for another socket or get a bulb to fit this one.

It almost looks like a 1157 socket I am thinking.

BUT at least I know where the problem is.

Can't wait to fix that. I was just a little upset after pulling the dash, clock cluster etc.

BUT it could always be worse.

be well my friend - - Print Dad - - Jim