Sign in to follow this  
diplo

HELP - Interior Door Panels

Situation: My car came with new repro deluxe door panels. Only problem is there were no holes in the panels other than the ones for the crank. No problem right, just get out the dremel and go to town. Well I did that and now I am a little confused/concerned. I need to get these damn things in before Hot August Nights in Reno next week! Help! Here are my questions:

1. There is a plastic shield behind the door handle that is attached to the actual door and secured down by the interior handle. Does this piece go behind the interior panel or do you cut the hole and pull it through?

2. I have no wood grain insert, or insert of any kind for the panels. I think I need inserts to clean up the door cup and the previously mentioned plastic handle shield... Correct? Do they make inserts that are not wood grained?

3. Can someone response with some decent closeups of the handle area of their interior panels? I have not point of reference and I can't find any pictures that gives me the closeup online.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!! Thanks

I am about to embark on a deluxe conversion myself, so I can't answer most your questions in time, but I do know that I have never seen and deluxe door panels without the woodgrain.

The woodgrain and the trim almost cost more than the door panels themselves.

I'm not familiar with the assembly process of the deluxe panels but I may have an interior assembly manual at home, if do I'll try to bring it in to work tomorrow and scan the diagrams.

The only question I am sure of is that the plastic moisture shield goes between the door panel & the door. Sandwhiched between them. The are just glued onto the door side.

He's not referring to the moisture barrier. There is a plastic "cup" that sits behind the door handle. The door panel needs to be cut out so that it slips around the plastic "cup". Mine came with these already cut out, and I'm glad they did. I would be very reluctant to cut on them without having one as a reference.