Sign in to follow this  
d.reese

351 C bottom end noise?

Got a buddy with a fairly new 351 C with bottom end noise? I have not heard it, but he tells me it's a scraping noise?

He had a shop tell him something is hitting the oil pan!

I'm thinking it could be the oil scraper or the torch converter bolts if auto tranny ( I got ask on the tranny)?

Any other options or guess's?????

more than likely the oil scraper or windage tray interference...although, "fairly new" would indicate it ran fine for a while with no noise?? Usually if they are clear they are clear. Pays to check and triple check this stuff before putting it together. Did a shop do this or did he? I usually shoot for 3/16" -1/4" min clearance on these things. It pretty much always requires a vise, a rubber mallet, a ball peen, a die grinder, a file, a bunch of brakleen (to clean off the metal shavings) and refitting 3-4 times.

Well, he removed the pan and said a rod was scraping it. Come to find out, when he built the motor, he used wrong bolts for the pan ( hex head too small, barely fill holes) and resently changed to the correct bolts. he guess the pan was miss aligned and allowing the rod to touch? Also while back in the bottom end he noticed too much silicone and some in pump pic up ( resently had low oil pressures) so he's now changing out the the pump.Hopefully he gets it all right this time?

Thanks for the input!