Sign in to follow this  
Wade

license plate ideas?

Hi group,

if you had 3 letters and 3 numbers for you mustang license plate, what would you use?

I had considered MCH 390 or MAK 390

I have a 390 s code mustang mach 1

What do you think?

Hi group,

if you had 3 letters and 3 numbers for you mustang license plate, what would you use?

I had considered MCH 390 or MAK 390

I have a 390 s code mustang mach 1

What do you think?

In my state we are allowed to register old plates that are no longer being used such as those found in junk yards and off old cars. I plan on having one made which would be an exact replica of that era of plate. The plate has to be correct and all of those in that era had 3 letters then 3 numbers. Such as ABC 123. The plates also had an expiration month on the bottom left corner of the plate which corresponded to the first letter on the plate. So a plate beginning with A would have jan on the bottom left corner. They skipped "I" and the lettering went from A to M, a plate beginning with M would have dec on the bottom left corner.

Anyway, in order for it to pass the folks at DMV it has to match up correctly. So I can do M-- 390. I never thought of MOC. So it would seem my only real choices would be MAK, MCH or MOC.

I initially thought I would get MCH but I think MAK might be a better alternative.

In my state we are allowed to register old plates that are no longer being used such as those found in junk yards and off old cars. I plan on having one made which would be an exact replica of that era of plate. The plate has to be correct and all of those in that era had 3 letters then 3 numbers. Such as ABC 123. The plates also had an expiration month on the bottom left corner of the plate which corresponded to the first letter on the plate. So a plate beginning with A would have jan on the bottom left corner. They skipped "I" and the lettering went from A to M, a plate beginning with M would have dec on the bottom left corner.

Anyway, in order for it to pass the folks at DMV it has to match up correctly. So I can do M-- 390. I never thought of MOC. So it would seem my only real choices would be MAK, MCH or MOC.

I initially thought I would get MCH but I think MAK might be a better alternative.

Yeah in NY you need old official plates from the proper year to register as antique which is much cheaper. 70 era plates were the same for a period so you just need a set with a registration sticker in the bottom corner from the correct year. I already purchased a set of 1970's for mine from ebay for like $20... dont really care about what it says, more that I am "sticking it to the man" anyway I can.

Yeah in NY you need old official plates from the proper year to register as antique which is much cheaper. 70 era plates were the same for a period so you just need a set with a registration sticker in the bottom corner from the correct year. I already purchased a set of 1970's for mine from ebay for like $20... dont really care about what it says, more that I am "sticking it to the man" anyway I can.

I live in Mississippi. We can used old license plates for our cars instead of the antique tags . These are called Historical Lisence Plates. If you can find one for the year your car that is . Anyway I ordered one off the internet. This company makes exact replicas of the lisence plates for every state and every year. The company web site is lisenceplates.tv When that sight comes up click on U S state plates. Then all the state flags for each state comes up. Find your state and click on the flag. When you click on that the plates come up. Scroll down to your year that you want and click on that year. That year plate will be the exact color of the plate that it was back then. You can type in the letters you want on the plate and the county you live in in that state. After you do that hit the customize sign and it will show what the plate will look like with what you want on it. My car is a 69 coupe. 69 plates back then were a brown with white letters in Mississippi. I put my county at the bottom which was HINDS and for my letters i just put 1969. All the plates come with OCT. on left lower corner and the year on the right lower corner 69 in my case. Then you order it for $90.00 including free shipping. Take the plate to the car tag place and tell them you want to replace your antique tag with this Historical plate. They will have to send it off for approval and you have to fill out a Historical license plate application. It takes about 4 days to get it back. Take your old antique lisence plate back to the car tag place and they will charge you a one time fee of 26.00 in Mississippi for the historical plate. Its on my car now and looks great. They also give you a paper to keep in your car in case some dumb cop stops you for having an old liscence plate on your car instead of an antique tag.

I live in Mississippi. We can used old license plates for our cars instead of the antique tags . These are called Historical Lisence Plates. If you can find one for the year your car that is . Anyway I ordered one off the internet. This company makes exact replicas of the lisence plates for every state and every year. The company web site is lisenceplates.tv When that sight comes up click on U S state plates. Then all the state flags for each state comes up. Find your state and click on the flag. When you click on that the plates come up. Scroll down to your year that you want and click on that year. That year plate will be the exact color of the plate that it was back then. You can type in the letters you want on the plate and the county you live in in that state. After you do that hit the customize sign and it will show what the plate will look like with what you want on it. My car is a 69 coupe. 69 plates back then were a brown with white letters in Mississippi. I put my county at the bottom which was HINDS and for my letters i just put 1969. All the plates come with OCT. on left lower corner and the year on the right lower corner 69 in my case. Then you order it for $90.00 including free shipping. Take the plate to the car tag place and tell them you want to replace your antique tag with this Historical plate. They will have to send it off for approval and you have to fill out a Historical license plate application. It takes about 4 days to get it back. Take your old antique lisence plate back to the car tag place and they will charge you a one time fee of 26.00 in Mississippi for the historical plate. Its on my car now and looks great. They also give you a paper to keep in your car in case some dumb cop stops you for having an old liscence plate on your car instead of an antique tag.

That is the only place I'm aware of making exact replicas not just for the US but other countries as well. Other sites I found will make plastic replicas but they use aluminum and are supposed to be accurate. What most folks do is get an old plate to register but I figured I can not only get an "old" plate, but get it to say what I want within certain restriction of what would be historically accurate, as I mentioned previously.

I'm glad to hear someone else has had a good experience with licenseplates.tv

That is the only place I'm aware of making exact replicas not just for the US but other countries as well. Other sites I found will make plastic replicas but they use aluminum and are supposed to be accurate. What most folks do is get an old plate to register but I figured I can not only get an "old" plate, but get it to say what I want within certain restriction of what would be historically accurate, as I mentioned previously.

I'm glad to hear someone else has had a good experience with licenseplates.tv

The main problem you will have is trying to get the lisence plate people to find out how to go about issuing you the Historical plate. Most of the people there don't know anything at all about a Historical Plate. I was the first one that ever asked for one at the place I went to. They had to get the manual out and read how to do it and also call the main office and talk to someone.....but I finally got it.

The main problem you will have is trying to get the lisence plate people to find out how to go about issuing you the Historical plate. Most of the people there don't know anything at all about a Historical Plate. I was the first one that ever asked for one at the place I went to. They had to get the manual out and read how to do it and also call the main office and talk to someone.....but I finally got it.

In NY you absolutely cannot use a remaned plate, has to be original AND you are not even suppose to repaint it! I personally plan to clear coat mine AFTER I get it through them the first time. It is mine, so they should have no reason to ever have it in their office again.

In NY you absolutely cannot use a remaned plate, has to be original AND you are not even suppose to repaint it! I personally plan to clear coat mine AFTER I get it through them the first time. It is mine, so they should have no reason to ever have it in their office again.