Sign in to follow this  
Handegard

what I found in the bellhousing...

I had a funny noise, my gut said "bellhousing" so I poped the inspection cover, and I found this. This was the '70, 302/C4

311xp1k.jpg

Any idea what it is? I think there might be something else in there too, I'll look tomorow.

Edited by Handegard
Engine/Tranny added

Possibly part of your pilot bearing?

Ahh, no it's a C4/302 combo.

I added it.

I was thinking some sort of thrust washer, but I honestly have no idea. It has wear marks in a circular pattern.

Thanks

The noise never went away. I figure the noise out. My starter gear doesn't retract. So if I accelerate, or go uphill, the starter gear slides back into the flexplate....

I'll replace the starter tomorrow (if I still have the one from my '69)

I pulled some other bits and pieces out, including a dowel pin. :/

This incident is a good excuse to pop the engine out, inspect everything, and then clean and paint the motor (oh, yeah, and re-seal the gaskets!)

I still want to know what this is. I looked at the starter, and I don't think it's a piece...

Well, I found the starter from my '69 and put it in, so now I can open up the old starter and see what happened inside...

But, did this peice come from the starter? Or did this piece get in there some other way, and maybe it is responsible for breaking the starter? Chicken, or egg?